Hamburg Bantam Hens - all info welcome

• 4 Replies

jimydee

« on: May 29, 2008, 23:33 »
Hi,

I just purchased 2 bantam hens in the last few days and I have them in an 8 X 4 run.  They seem to be getting on great and have started to lay.   My first egg was the business.  The hens are both dark coloured.

I know nothing about Hamburg bantams (or hens for that matter even though I have read a few books on keeping chickens).  Can any one tell me anything about Hamburg bantam hens?  What type of personality have they?  Are they good layers?  Do they go broody very easily? Is there anything I should know or be doing?

All advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:04 »
hi jim, and welcome to the henhouse.

i have a silver spangled hamburgh called rainbow.

they are a very flighty breed, so need to be clipped or high fences.

they like space, are pretty hardy, but not owner friendly. dont expect to pick them up for a cuddle, they dont like people much and prefer to be left alone doing their own thing. rainbow is only now brave enough to come near me.

good layers, white eggs, tho very small.

and they are absolutely lousy broodies.

most breeders wouldnt suggest hamburghs as a first chicken. you may want to invest in a net for getting to them to check on them.

but all that said....they are so pretty, and are lovely to watch zooming about.

looking foward to seeing your pictures of them  :wink:

Bodger

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:16 »
The large variety came to this country originally as layers but were superceded ( my thats a good word :lol: ) by other breeds. Their laying ability is not brilliant because thankfully they have been kept going as a breed by people who exhibit them at shows for how they look rather than what they do.

Most of the out and out light laying breeds tend to have what i would describe as a rather 'flighty' disposition.

longster

Re: Hamburg Bantam Hens - all info welcome
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 06:20 »
Quote from: "jimydee"
Hi,

I just purchased 2 bantam hens in the last few days and I have them in an 8 X 4 run.  They seem to be getting on great and have started to lay.   My first egg was the business.  The hens are both dark coloured.

I know nothing about Hamburg bantams (or hens for that matter even though I have read a few books on keeping chickens).  Can any one tell me anything about Hamburg bantam hens?  What type of personality have they?  Are they good layers?  Do they go broody very easily? Is there anything I should know or be doing?

All advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

ok you no your hamburgs yer there personality is good ill tell you what it says in the book i read
the hamburg dose not like alot of human contact infact it prefers do get away from us this is a flighty breed of chickens so dont scare it or anoy it ok. but they love to forage . and the are only for experienced keepers. ok happy and they are good egg layers   :wink:
ask me any question on chickens i will answer

longster

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:21 »
do not clip them its nature leave them alone ok and i like your chickens

xx
Help Info re Battery Hens

Started by mary on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post September 22, 2007, 20:42
by Ednah
xx
Hens have gone quiet-advice/info please

Started by princesslisabean on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 12:22
by Jeanette
xx
bantam hens

Started by lisa123 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 16:18
by lisa123
xx
bantam's jumping ma hens

Started by kenny d on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 11:28
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 28 queries.