feather pecking

• 6 Replies

lisa80

feather pecking
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:21 »
hi all ,i am rather worried about one of my girls :( she is pol and we bought her and her sister about 4 weeks ago.her sister is now twice the size of her and i noticed a bald patch on her chest/breast area .i know she is low in the pecking order and i havent seen any of the others peck her she just looks so scrawny   :( i dont want to take her away form the others but she looks like she could do with some tlc, im wondering if maybe she is pecking herself???will get some anti pecking spray .i could ask man we got her from to take her back, i know he would swap her but im sure that would mean the pot for her and i think she deserves a chance :(

shez

Re: feather pecking
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:34 »
Hi, know how you feel i was just talking about Izzy and forgot to mention they plucked all of her neck feathers out along while ago and i used the"anti peck"spray, apart from her trying to get it off all the others thought id put something tasty on her and it drew alot of unwanted attention to her so i haven't used it since unless some one has a tip!! 

Brambles

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:29 »
I had the same problem last year with one of my girls, she had a bare chest, then a bare bottom.   All the girls seemed to be behaving themselves so one day I sat out of sight and watched quietly... My biggest girl was a total bully and attacked mercilessly.   I tried everything I knew.   Nothing worked.  Finally I got a small house with a run made for my big girl, she completely changed when she found all the food put out was ALL for her!   Now she is beautiful, much calmer.   She has a wire fence with quite large holes between her and the other girls but no access...  Everyone is happy.

lisa80

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:33 »
i have just been down to collect some eggs and noticed her sister wasnt pecking but was having a good look ive got some pekins in a seperate pen might move her in with them .i want to give her a chance bless her  :)

chooksbury

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 13:50 »
There's always the beak bit for the bully option ... Dorothy has settled completely now she has hers on and Matilda might have a baldy bum, but it isn't sore any more and she's happier than ever !

lisa80

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 15:32 »
if i had definate proof of who it was a beak bit would be an option  :)do you think thats why she is so thin ?bullying i supose would explain it .do you get such things as a runt in chickens?thats what she reminds me of  :)she is so sweet and im sure she is laying and her rather large sister isnt,feel so sorry for her :(

lisa80

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 14:11 »
hi all just an update the poor girl i was worried about is now we think a boy! :wacko:when we were given the 2 girls they were both same size and looked the same really so i can see how easily the mistake has been made.
    as his sister has filled out and rounded if you know what i mean ,he has now got a different posture all together.no crowing yet although they were pol mid january im now almost possitve he is a boy as he was trying to tread one of the girls this morning :(i know our friend will take him back as we did a swap and im sure if hes able he will replace him.just thought id let you all know  :)i feel like a right nit :blush:

xx
Feather pecking

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:37
by Sassy
xx
Feather Pecking Again!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
feather pecking

Started by buforp on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 17:45
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Feather pecking.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 17:32
by Chas

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 35 queries.