Lost almost everything :(

• 18 Replies

compostqueen

Re: Lost almost everything :(
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 11:02 »
I lashed my growhouse (same as above) to my shed but it still got ripped off. It was fastened to a pallet and the bottom rack had bricks on the lower shelf to anchor it down but it still blew away. To this day I've not recovered some of the poles. Disheartening indeed but it should strengthen your resolve. Dust yourself off and start over. We've all been there. 

You still have time to sow again, it's not too late by any means. Shorter, stockier courgettes and squashes will get away better I suspect  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 18:37 »
It surely has to be a good idea to try to strengthen these inherently weak structures with at least two strong hardwood stakes hammered into the ground and attached to the uprights, either in two diagonally opposite corners or the two centre struts. Apart from increasing the overall rigidity it should help them avoid living up to their alternative name of "blowaways"!

A good idea for a plot I agree but sadly not possible on a metal balcony!

Thanks everyone for your sympathy - leeks look fine after a feed and enough Toms have survived as I had extra. Squash and courgettes replanted today :)

homegrown

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 22:26 »
A couple of my small potato leaves have been broken was very windy.
It is very annoying after all the hard work
My kids playhouse was thrown right down my garden and broken in 2 places this week
Nearly landed on my spuds 

seaside

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 22:51 »
It surely has to be a good idea to try to strengthen these inherently weak structures with at least two strong hardwood stakes hammered into the ground and attached to the uprights, either in two diagonally opposite corners or the two centre struts. Apart from increasing the overall rigidity it should help them avoid living up to their alternative name of "blowaways"!
With that in mind, I use a couple of "flying buttress" French bean wigwams that are then securely joined at 3ft away to the runner bean support row at 90 degrees. Solid as a rock.

xx
lost veg

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 22:52
by solway cropper
xx
Brassicas - a bit lost!

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 10:51
by Goosegirl
xx
Lost in the Jargon

Started by webwahm on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 18:23
by JayG
xx
Has anyone lost a Ferret?

Started by Silkworm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 20:27
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 31 queries.