crocus

• 9 Replies

gypsy

crocus
« on: March 23, 2010, 16:54 »
I have seen lots of lovely displays of crocus on lawns and would like to plant some on my lawn for next year. Can anyone tell me how it is done, when to plant, feed, mow, etc.
Catherine

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Re: crocus
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 17:34 »
We planted 240 last autumn, the bulbs are quite small so we basically dibed holes a couple of inches deep and popped them in. We did do it before laying the turf though which made it slightly easier :)

gypsy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 17:41 »
That looks pretty, did you cut the grass this year? Do you have to wait until the flowers are finished before you can mow?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 19:46 »
It's best for the plants if you wait until most of the foliage dies before mowing. This is how the bulbs feed themselves, otherwise you'll be replanting.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 23:43 »
Nope, it was mown the end of last year and you rely on the grass not growing much over winter then mow again once they are over. Like Trillium said, best to wait until the foliage dies back.

gypsy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:54 »
Thankyou for your replies, maybe it is not an option for me in the front garden as the grass seems to grow very quickly, but I may plant some out the back where I do not mind seeing the grass grow longer.

Debz

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:20 »
Why don't you plant them in clumps in the lawn that way you can still have the flowers but you can mow round the bits when the crocus are up.  That's the way my mum does it.

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:13 »
If you've got children I saw a really lovely idea to  make a fairy ring. Basically, just plant them in a ring (obvious, much?  ::) ) but then you could make a wigwam that they can either put a rug or canvas over, or you could grow sweet peas up. I don't have a lawn, or children yet for that matter, but I thought it was such a lovely idea!  :D
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

gypsy

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 14:56 »
Pity that the sweet peas and crocus will not be flowering at the same time, that would have looked nice.

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 15:04 »
True, but if you sowed something else around the base at the same time you could have the crocus (and maybe snowdrops?) round the base then the sweetpeas with something else round the bottom - I don't grow a lot of flowers but nicotiana or phlox? Would smell amazing too!  :happy:

clip
Crocus ?

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 04, 2016, 11:22
by Lardman
xx
Crocus

Started by hiccup on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2017, 19:49
by gobs
xx
When to cut off crocus leaves.

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2015, 13:02
by Springlands
xx
crocus bulbs

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 21:38
by sion01

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 28 queries.