complete novice ...

• 7 Replies

crackedflowerpots

complete novice ...
« on: February 16, 2008, 22:14 »
... needs to ask a silly question ...
my OH was given a home brew kit and a keg  :D but when we looked at the keg we noticed that it comes with a valve type thingy that screws on the top of the keg. the top of the keg already has a a screw top. What do we have to do with the valve thingy? :oops:
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
complete novice ...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 22:55 »
I think you need to unscrew the top and put the valve in while it's fermenting it lets the pressure out. you usually have to put water or something in the valve or that may just be wine. did you get any instructions
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sparky

complete novice ...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 23:47 »
Can you post a photo of it? 8)

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Re: complete novice ...
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:53 »
Quote from: "crackedflowerpots"
... needs to ask a silly question ...
my OH was given a home brew kit and a keg  :D but when we looked at the keg we noticed that it comes with a valve type thingy that screws on the top of the keg. the top of the keg already has a a screw top. What do we have to do with the valve thingy? :oops:

Is the valve thingy not a small CO2 gas cylinder?  It will be quite heavy if it is and should be stamped or marked.  If this is the case, it's a device for boosting the pressure in a keg when the natural pressure from fermentation falls too low to dispense the beer out of the tap, usually when the keg is around half empty.  If it is and you use it, only give the keg a ONE SECOND burst of gas before checking the flow pressure again.

crackedflowerpots

complete novice ...
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 22:06 »
thanks all for your help
ive looked online and it seems to be a co2 injector and now it seems  i have to buy a thing to screw onto it and some co2 bulbs to put into that :roll: we were going to put the brew in bottles but thought a keg would be less hassle/
everytime we try to get started on making the brew it seems like we have to buy something else ... I need a drink!

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
complete novice ...
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 22:46 »
Quote from: "crackedflowerpots"
thanks all for your help
ive looked online and it seems to be a co2 injector and now it seems  i have to buy a thing to screw onto it and some co2 bulbs to put into that :roll: we were going to put the brew in bottles but thought a keg would be less hassle/
everytime we try to get started on making the brew it seems like we have to buy something else ... I need a drink!

Is the thread in the top of the keg about 3/4 inch (20mm) diameter and a male thread which is fitted into the plastic cap of the barrel?  If so, it would be more economical in the long run to get a small cylinder rather than those little bulbs of CO2.  The cylinders are about 10 inches long by about 2 inch diameter and have the corresponding female thread.  They can be re-used over and over and last for ages.  Think they're about a tenner.

crackedflowerpots

complete novice ...
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 22:55 »
yes my cap is just how u describe ,sounds a good idea to get the cylinder thing ...if i'll need the cylinder when its ready to be poured , i should be ok to make a start now then :D
cheers

crackedflowerpots

complete novice ...
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 16:49 »
its fermenting!!! :D  if the aroma is anything to go by ... you wont be seeing us in a month or two!! ... and we may be gone some while! :D

xx
Some daft questions from a complete novice!

Started by Casey76 on Homebrew

9 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 17:34
by thearaig
xx
Fermentation Complete?

Started by nickmcmechan on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post January 11, 2011, 20:45
by nickmcmechan
xx
Novice homebrewer needs help please

Started by Ice on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 20:03
by Ice
xx
Advice please for novice

Started by PlymouthMaid on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 17:32
by Etherelda

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 38 queries.