Sweet chestnut - riving vs. sawing

• 4 Replies

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« on: December 16, 2008, 16:20 »
I understand sweet chestnut wood is naturally very durable and long lasting without treatment especially when "riven" ie split along the grain. It hasas traditionally and still is used to make post and rail fences (example):
http://www.naturalfencing.com/lev4_1_4_0_Cleft_Chestnut_Post_&_Rail.asp
and wired paling fencing(example):
http://www.tate-fencing.co.uk/products/cnpaling.htm

Unpeeled chestnut posts and stakes can be bought quite cheaply and I suppose then sawn down into rough waney edged board planks to make a fence. Does anyone know what the durabilty of sweet chesnut is when it has been sawn into planks and not riven?

I ask because I've a garden fence to replace and I'm looking for a substitue for pine fencing panels which I can only maintain long term with  rubbish water based "preservative" as proper creosote has been withdrawn. As an aside, has anybody used that "creosote substitute" and if so is it any good? Is it oil or water based?

Thanks amc

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 18:00 »
I used creocote (a creosote substitute). it is oil based and has the same pesticide active ingredient as Ronseal wood preserver, but without the zinc.

I slapped a load on my shed a year or so ago and this year i have only had to patch up a couple of bits which were very exposed, so it seems to work ok to me!

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 21:46 »
Chesnut usually has a twisted grain which is followed when it is split and acceptable in rustic fencing. You may find that sawn planks are prone to splitting as the cut will not follow the grain.

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:23 »
I used creocote (a creosote substitute). it is oil based and has the same pesticide active ingredient as Ronseal wood preserver, but without the zinc.

I slapped a load on my shed a year or so ago and this year i have only had to patch up a couple of bits which were very exposed, so it seems to work ok to me!

Cheers Faz, Mangers Creocote sounds like a fairly good substitute to me, its definitaly oil based with an added preservative/fungicide. The ingredients are listed in Part 2 here: https://www.paint247.co.uk/generaldocs/HS/MANGERS%20Creocote.pdf

Chesnut usually has a twisted grain which is followed when it is split and acceptable in rustic fencing. You may find that sawn planks are prone to splitting as the cut will not follow the grain.

Thanks salmo, that probably explains why sawn chestnut is not widely advertised for sale. I'm still thinking of using sweet chesnut for a fence, in fact I quite like the look of "rustic".

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Sweet chestnut - riving vs. sawing
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:31 »
If you use a riving break and froe on chestnut poles there a doddle to split down the centre you can use wedges as well.  We use chestnut for all kinds of stuff fencing, fottpaths and shelters
Thanks
Kris

xx
Sweet Pea support

Started by miggs on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 16:09
by sunshineband
xx
Building a dedicated cucumber/sweet pepper grower!

Started by Stratts on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 17:20
by Trillium

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 33 queries.