New allotment, clay soil conditioning and taties

• 36 Replies

Rich

• The carrot has mystery. Flowers are tarts for bees
New allotment, clay soil conditioning and taties
« on: October 30, 2010, 18:20 »
Hello all, been dipping into the forum for a good while but now after 3 long years im at the top of the list for my local allotments. Even tho' i have no real idea as to exactly when i will get my patch (i have talked to some folk at the allotments and theyve indicated that one old boy is wrapping it in but not until the rents due which is April) i was just wondering if there's anything i should be doing in preparation for the great event.  Im scanning seed catalogues and looking at where to plant etc but are there any veggie seedlings i should start off now in pots either indoors or out. Any advice/pointers for a newbie would be greatfully received. T.I.A!
Rich.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:26 by Rich »

daisy1990

Re: Newbie, allotment coming my way
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 20:25 »
i would read up on soil preparation it really does make  a difference, the better your soil is prepared, the better your crops will be.  read about crop rotation too and finally read about composting

enjoy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:38 »
Welcome to the site Rich  :D

Could you edit your profile so that it shows your general location? Advice is sometimes locality specific.

Have a look at the monthly guides on the main website, but I'd recommend John's books too as they're simple to read but packed full of information.

If you don't get the plot until Easter, you might just be in time to get spuds straight into the ground, but most other things are either sown direct or started off in early spring for planting out after last frost (in Yorkshire that's generally estimated to be end of May).

I wouldn't start anything off now.  But if you like leeks you can start those off in February in a tray, for later planting out on the plot.

And there's lots of useful posts on the growing stickies board.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Rich

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:48 »
Thank you kindly folks

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 18:53 »
I'm mega jealous of you. If I was you I'd spend a lot of time planning it all and taking measurements etc. I'd be super organised in advance. Good luck with it.

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 21:02 »
#1 - make friends on your allotment. You'll probably find your new neighbours to be very helpful and they can give the best local advice for what grows well in your conditions. If you're lucky they will have 'spares' they will donate to get you going   ;)

Rich

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 20:55 »
Just got a letter from the council saying that there is an allotment for me. Went to check it out but cant see much beyond the shed and wee polytunnel. Ill bowl on over again after work tomorrow to see if i can get a better look.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 22:09 »
I hope they havent blown away!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Rich

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 15:59 »
Been down again today, and to be honest the place is a reet dump. The shed is really damp and rotten and the attached polytunnel is a deathtrap in this high wind. Its been built on the remains of a greenhouse so has a concrete floor and low walls all around. I'd turn it back into a greenhouse if the kids that use the adjoining sportsfield didnt take delight in smashing greenhouse windows.

Think i'll dodge this one and take the next.

digalotty

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 16:24 »
theres no guarantee you will get a shed with the next one , i would be more concerned that the plot gets good sun and not to shaded maybe a little wind protection and how well the plot has been cared for,     also check on neighbours plots to see if they are tidy,     my neighbour left his dandelions to go to seed and then strimmed them and most of them landed on my plot.
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Rich

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 16:59 »

The place is strewn with broken panes of glass, inundated with couch and ground elder and as it is adjacent to open sportsfields has very little wind protection. The neighbouring plot is better, not by much but it seems im self sufficient in dandelions anyay. It also appears it's been used as a dumping ground since the previous tenant last visited it. On the plus side it does seem to get a good amount of light.

digalotty

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 17:30 »
blimey , the first picture put me off , i hate broken glass on the plot , how do they let them get in that state with long waiting lists :ohmy:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 17:34 »
Blimey, that takes me back 3 years!

You'll have it ship-shape in no time.  Just clearing the rubbish off there will be heartening

plopleuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 18:11 »
take pic's at every stage it helps in planning and also makes you feel good when you see the progress.
then plan plan and plan again.
Good luck and watch out its addictive  :D

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 18:46 »
Hi
    Mine was worse than  yours when I got it ,22 trailer loads of concrete, 7 bags of asbestos , and any amount brambles ,nettles , docks .3 months later all done  (forgot
 3 gallon of sweat )
Very pleased now all clear.

bazial

cheesy
Newbie with a clay soil allotment -help!

Started by LadyGreens on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 02:11
by Kristen
xx
new allotment,heavy clay soil.wet ground.

Started by hunlom on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 12:14
by crh75
xx
Gypsum for soil conditioning - is finishing plaster usable?

Started by calypsored on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2020, 22:44
by Deborah1
xx
Clay soil

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 12:37
by al78

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 28 queries.