help with tom plants

• 16 Replies

DOBBO

help with tom plants
« on: March 06, 2011, 17:30 »
hi all i am new at all this i got some tomato palnt seeds and i put them in a little propergator from pound shop they are growing fast but they are real leggey can any one help me please :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: help with tom plants
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 17:56 »
Ah, propagators again!

Get them out of it, if it's not too late, pot them up, burying the stem further down, even up to the leaves. Get them in a sunny window and put some foil behind them to reflect the light.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DOBBO

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 18:03 »
or nice one thanks alot for your advice :D

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 18:06 »
My tomatos are started in a propagator, but also in pots.
As soon as the plant starts to show open the vents & leave to grow on.
I generally repot again if they aren't going in the ground & like already mentioned replant or pot deeper.
If you leave banana skins under the plants, as they rot away they will help your tomato plants grow & ripen

DOBBO

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 19:06 »
thanks alot for your advice i will do that thanks again :D

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 19:58 »
Always read the instructions on the packet about sowing times and growing on. That way you won't be sowing seeds too early.

Babstreefern

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 20:37 »
I never use propagators at all.  My tom plants are looking really cool, and growing nicely.  I start all my seedlings, no matter what (unless they have to go straight into the ground), in my conservatory, and they do really well. 

The only things that are not in the conservatory are my cukes, they are on the window sill (they have direct sun, but only in the morning), and they are nice and warm because they are just above the radiator :D
Babs

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 20:50 »
I do admit to an odd plastic bag, but I've never used a propagator either.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 20:52 »
Is there a reason why propagators aren't prefered?

I myself have always used them & never had a problem!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 20:53 »
I don't like spending money and they are totally unnecessary for what I grow.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 20:56 by DD. »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 21:48 »
Me too. I've never felt the need to buy a propagator because I grow all sorts of seeds and they all seem to germinate absolutely fine next to my boiler or in the airing cupboard. If they're a plant that doesn't like heat then I'll germinate them in the spare bedroom with the radiator turned off.

Benandbill

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 07:01 »
I planted 24 Alicante toms seeds in 8 cells (3 per cell), just in seed trays - not a propogator about 3 weeks ago.  Only 5 have leaves - 2 on each stem - and are about an inch and a quarter tall, only 4 are worthy of mention though as one's not as tall and has smaller leaves.  Of the ones that have grown, they're in cells near each other, can't help thinking I've done something wrong, or is it normal for them to grow erratically this way?  One cell contains a tall stem but with no leaves and one of the leaves on the healthier one loos astough it's going a bit brown on the corner.  Am I worrying too much?  :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 09:28 »
I don't own a propagator, heated or otherwise, but would still expect a better germination rate for tomatoes than what you seem to have experienced.

The usual "suspects" at this stage would be over-watering and/or too cold (or possibly too much variation in temperature.)

It is also quite early to be sowing tomatoes unless you have a heated greenhouse or similar in which to grow them on (and definitely too early to be sowing for outdoor use.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 11:36 »
Is there a reason why propagators aren't prefered?

I myself have always used them & never had a problem!

6-of-1 and half-a-dozen-of-the-other I reckon.

I used to put pots in plastic bags in a suitably warm place.

I now have two windowsill unsophisticated propagators (no thermostat, just gentle bottom heat). My perception is that I get better and faster germination.

My seed-sowing pan is based on 14 day intervals (well, 1st and 15th of the month).  That means that the 1/4 size seed trays and germinated within the 14 days (for pretty much everything) and can come off the propagator (and have their lids removed).

I have a spare set of trays ... so they are used for the next batch before the first batch's trays are available after pricking out.

It works well for me ... but ... a system of bags-over-pots doesn't have the limitation of amount of propagator space available :) or the cost :) I like having a system that is (in my case) more likely to provide good results, even with some neglect or forgetfulness - I don't have to remember to take the pots of the windowsill each night because it gets cold as the propagator keeps it warm :)

stompy

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 12:13 »
I prefere propagators,
I get far more consistent and quicker germination (apart from Chillies :mad:), and as the seeds germinate faster they tend to shed their seed husks quickly stopping the seed leaves from being scorched by the husk.
I start most of my plants off in a propagator, even Squashes and Brassicas.
I have one heated one from B&Q that cost me £10, it is heated but has no thermostat, and i have several from Wilkinsons that are a solid tray (no holes in the bottom) and a clear domed cover, these are very cheap at around £3 and very durable considering the low price.
Then i just put either pots, cell trays or open trays in them after sowing.
I used to use pots with plastic bags on, and they do work, but i find that keeping a constant temp in a larger volume of air is easier, there aren't pots strewed around all over the house and also the OH keeps off my back because there aren't pots strewed all over the house.  ;)

xx
How do I tell the difference between sprout plants from cabbage plants

Started by sushi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 20:47
by sushi
xx
Companion plants for Asparagus plants

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 08:03
by Kristen
xx
Bug on Plants

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 17:15
by Terry
xx
i have little pea plants

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 01, 2008, 22:17
by cooperman

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 30 queries.