i have little pea plants

• 16 Replies

chrissie B

i have little pea plants
« on: February 27, 2008, 18:04 »
every year i plant peas hoping that even one will live so far all we have managed is about 5 pods from the countless plants that have perished miserably , they are only small at the mo , have planted early and have put a scrambling net up in anticipation , fingers crossed
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Clampit

i have little pea plants
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 19:14 »
Five pods??? You've beaten my record.
Good luck with the pea growing. :D

gobs

i have little pea plants
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 20:41 »
Is it the heat that finishes them, Crissie, or what?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mashauk

i have little pea plants
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 21:54 »
Mine are doing OK, but not as well as last years that I planted out in October.

Trillium

i have little pea plants
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 22:05 »
Chrissie, are you giving them lots of water (we hope)? And check for slugs - they love tender young plants, even peas.

Trillium

i have little pea plants
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 22:06 »
Chrissie, are you giving them lots of water (we hope)? And check for slugs - they love tender young plants, even peas.

chrissie B

i have little pea plants
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 13:03 »
i think that i had been planting them too late and they were not big enough to survive but they are straight into the ground with half a water bottle over them to keep the slugs off they look OK at the moment , they are not in a straight line though i don't seem to be able to get things in lines though things just pop up all over the place , and they get loads of water as the lady at the bottom of the garden keeps telling me , Nero Nero , i will be out there from dawn to dusk if i did as much as she likes me to , think she has shares in the water company
Chrissie b

GreenOwl

i have little pea plants
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 14:18 »
"I had a little pea plant
and nothing would it grow
but 5 little peapod
with 5 peas a go"

Sorry, couldn't resist with that title.

I usually plant my peas straight outside in April.  The pigeons are a pain and my supports are terrible but I've always had a lovely crop that rarely makes it to the kitchen.  (My toddler just stood there with his hand out as I picked them last year!).  I've always found them a fairly easy crop.  Over too soon but I'm going to try and plant a little more successionally this year.

compostqueen

i have little pea plants
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 14:33 »
I never plant in straight lines either. Try circles, they look nice  :D  

Pigeons are a blinkin nuisance and slugs just graze them off but hey ho you have to keep going.  I put some chicken wire over mine last year after planting the small plantlets but a female blackbird died on it. Not sure how it got fast as I'd made it tunnel shaped with no sticking out bits (quite smooth etc) it really upset me so this year I'm going to make a conscious effort to improve the support.

I didn't get any peas beyond the lotty gate either  :D  Yum

Trillium

i have little pea plants
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 15:06 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
...I didn't get any peas beyond the lotty gate either  

To do that, you need to plant a lot of peas, like my mother does - about 300 ft long rows. Then she complains she's up until 1am shelling them for every day's picking.

mashauk

i have little pea plants
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 16:28 »
Shelling is a pain in the backside isn't it, most of ours didn't make it home, but the ones that did (I thought) were mostly too big and floury and "HAD" to be saved for this year's seed :twisted:

chrissie B

i have little pea plants
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 17:11 »
there are only 6 plants up at the mo , i don't really have the space now that all my other seeds are showing I'm wondering just where i will put them , Ive just dug a ring around my rotary clothes line to accommodate all the herbs ,and the lawn is shrinking every time i trim the edges i add a couple of inches .
Chrissie b

compostqueen

i have little pea plants
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 17:27 »
:D

GreenOwl

i have little pea plants
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 20:25 »
Chrissie b,

I've just realised your in Greece.   :oops:   Sorry.  Experience here probably isn't much good.  I've always thought of peas as a crop that prefer slightly colder weather than say tomatoes, peppers, aubergines etc that we think of as Mediterranean veg.  Do any of your neighbours do well with peas?  What do they do that might be different?

I've probably been no help at all.   :oops:

chrissie B

i have little pea plants
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 07:35 »
well Ive only seen one doing peas he had enough to feed the whole village he gave us some but they were not all that good , i planted earlier hoping it would be better for them and maybe i will put some in late on in the year see what happens , thanks for the advice every little helps , i watch when next door puts his stuff in and then i plant mine .
Chrissie b

xx
How do I tell the difference between sprout plants from cabbage plants

Started by sushi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 20:47
by sushi
xx
Companion plants for Asparagus plants

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 08:03
by Kristen
xx
help with tom plants

Started by DOBBO on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 20:57
by Lulu
xx
help no plants!!

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 11:30
by thegarybrough

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 36 queries.