liming clay soil

• 7 Replies

VickyR

liming clay soil
« on: February 28, 2007, 13:08 »
Hiya

this will be my first post so hello everyone....have really enjoyed the forum so far.

I got my allotment in August last yr and have cleared and double dug some beds which we left uncovered for the frosts to break the soil up a bit.  They are really claytastic and I'm worried that nowt will grow!

We're going to use the worst bed for potatoes and another of the rubbish ones for beans....but what's the best way to give the crops a good start?

Should I manure them (worried tatties will be all tops and no bottoms) or go for lime?  If I lime, can I plant straight away?  Could I plant and then lime?  Guess I should have thought about this earlier, but we were knee deep in brambles until about November!

Ah, the things that I spend time worrying about :D !  If you have any sage advice I would really appreciate it

Vicky

muntjac

liming clay soil
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 13:18 »
hiya vicky and welcome to the family ,,,,,,,,
ok dont lime taters they will scab .
feed loads manure and sharp sand into the clay ,you have as many bags as you need  from focus its about a £ 1 a bag  spread a bag  over 2 sq yards . loads manure on top rotavate the lot in  chop up as much of the clay as you can  over a couple days  ,collect old growbags .leave a note on the housse gate asking for them a note in newspaper shops will help as well . mix them with the soil  sharp sand wil break the clay up allowing water to pass through humus will help retain it eventually with effort and work you will break down the clay into loverly soil ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hope that helps  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

liming clay soil
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 13:25 »
All of the above + gypsum

WG.

liming clay soil
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 14:01 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
All of the above + gypsum

You could save some up-front work by improving only pockets of soil into which you plant your potatoes.   The work still needs to get done sometime but at least you are watching (or eating) the fruits of your earlier work.

VickyR

liming clay soil
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 14:36 »
Thanks!  Good job I just got a car....we have been walking too and from the garden centre to our allotment which is on a massive hill.  Sounds like I will need the car to move all the compost,grow bags, gypsum and sand I'll be needing .  Much obliged to you all for the advice!

WG.

liming clay soil
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 15:20 »
Gypsum is sold (expensively) as ClayBreaker but I reckon you could smash up plasterboard offcuts (soak them to remove the foil backing, or plan on picking it out of the soil).  Does anyone know the organic "rules" on using plasterboard?  It might have fire-retardent or fungicidal stuff in it.

muntjac

liming clay soil
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 16:02 »
id stick to the sand n manure n sweat :wink:

shaun

liming clay soil
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 21:35 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Gypsum is sold (expensively) as ClayBreaker but I reckon you could smash up plasterboard offcuts (soak them to remove the foil backing, or plan on picking it out of the soil).  Does anyone know the organic "rules" on using plasterboard?  It might have fire-retardent or fungicidal stuff in it.

wouldnt fancy using plaster board dave,there are so many different types nowadays
most of them have glass fibres,silicone additives to repel moisture,i'm sure there will be more ,also the paper or foil lining will have some chemicals in it also
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
Soil pH and liming

Started by poultrygeist on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 17:49
by poultrygeist
xx
Liming soil

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 21:45
by Stripey_cat
xx
Liming Soil

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 19:36
by Trillium
xx
Clay soil

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 12:37
by al78

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 28 queries.