Garlic and PH levels

• 7 Replies

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
Garlic and PH levels
« on: March 20, 2009, 20:50 »
I have grown some spring Garlic at home in paper pots and they are now ready to plant out.
My intention was to plant them near to my Japanese onions. I tested the ph of the soil and discovered it was 7.5 Alkaline. According to a chart i have it states that garlic like a ph of 5.0- 6.0. After searching the internet I found some information on www.thegardenhelper.com

"If your soil needs to be more acidic, sulfur may be used to lower the pH if it is available. To reduce the soil pH by 1.0 point, mix in 1.2 oz of ground rock sulfur per square yard if the soil is sandy, or 3.6 oz per square yard for all other soils. The sulfur should be thoroughly mixed into the soil before planting. Sawdust, composted leaves, wood chips, cottonseed meal, leaf mold and especially peat moss, will lower the soil pH."

Is it possible to buy sulfur from garden centres or even better Wilkinsons.Or if i understand the above quote ,will peat moss or leaf mold be enough to lower ph level alone.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 21:04 by pol and mick »
pol

MoreWhisky

Re: Garlic and PH levels
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 21:29 »
Mine are in 7.5ph soil , now im worried  :(
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 21:45 »
Mine are in 7.5ph soil , now im worried  :(

Sorry, didn't mean to worry anyone.  :( My hubby thinks i'm being too fussy, but i feel if you want to get a good crop then i should at least try and accommodate the plants need.
Am i being too fussy :unsure:

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 21:50 »
i put mine in first week in january , now they have about 5inches sticking out the ground :D amazing .

Not sure what the bulb like tho   :mellow:

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 21:56 »
Am i being too fussy :unsure:

Probably  :) Your book probably state the "optimum" or "ideal"  Ph, think you'll find most things (garlic included) will grow without worrying about soil acidity unless its at either of these extremes. ( Watch me get shot down in flames for that !) But you might not get as big or as many widgets as you could get if everything with ideal.

I have no ideal what Ph my soil is - I figure if weeds will grow so will the veg  :)

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 22:10 »
 I figure if weeds will grow so will the veg 

:D

paintedlady

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 06:26 »
I figure if weeds will grow so will the veg 

:D

???
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 17:53 »
Sulphur is a short-term solution, and can get quite expensive for whole beds.  Are you on limestone locally?  If not, it's probable that someone has overlimed your ground in the past - it'll get better with time, and lots of organic matter.  If you are on limestone, then you may find you need to move some crops and plants into pots or raised beds with a membrane at the bottom; just make sure any topsoil you buy in has a low pH!

xx
NPK levels

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 22:59
by Robster
xx
Ph levels

Started by captainhastings on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2013, 21:56
by solway cropper
xx
New veg plot and ph levels

Started by DavidP on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 19:03
by DavidP
xx
Very low light levels this year!

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 22:09
by Jome

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 28 queries.