How much have you spent on next years crops?

• 54 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How much have you spent on next years crops?
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2009, 22:26 »
All my catalogues have now arrived :ohmy:
Bearing in mind that I bought a load in T & M's sale, I thought that I really only needed more lettuce, tomatoes and Peas..lots of peas :)
I have looked at the catalogues and written 3 or 4 items I would like on each of the 5 catalogues ::)

Someone please restrain me, I have a shoebox size tupperware box full of seed pkts already :blush: and i haven't even got an allotment, only some beds in the garden!

I think I need to whittle down the lists a bit before I actually post them, don't you :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2009, 22:34 »
All my catalogues have now arrived :ohmy:
Bearing in mind that I bought a load in T & M's sale, I thought that I really only needed more lettuce, tomatoes and Peas..lots of peas :)
I have looked at the catalogues and written 3 or 4 items I would like on each of the 5 catalogues ::)

Someone please restrain me, I have a shoebox size tupperware box full of seed pkts already :blush: and i haven't even got an allotment, only some beds in the garden!

I think I need to whittle down the lists a bit before I actually post them, don't you :(

I sympathise with you - I tend to do exactly the same - browse through lovely looking seed catalogues and think how great it would be to grow just one more additional, interesting crop when I already have one card-board box and a drawer full of seeds that would fill ten times the space I have to plant up next year. It is, however, so very tempting!

I tick the order form and put it aside for a week or two rather than order on the spur of the moment – this seems to help me keep a level head and money in my pocket! (Especially as the OH often clears the catalogues into the recycle-bin if I leave them sitting around for too long!  ::) )
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

M0rph3u5

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2009, 22:45 »
I would add that I have managed to cut down on the manure/compost side of expenses by asking on 'FREECYCLE' for fresh/rotted manure and immediately got a kind person who has a rescue Shetland and is letting me bag up my needs as I want them including some chicken manure as and when

so that will keep me occupied for the winter months :-)

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2009, 09:37 »

And I think that it is probably just as well that we return very promptly to the topic rather than begin a debate on the rights and wrongs of accurate spelling....  :mad:

The irony! At least the subsequent poster DID then return to topic immediately without needing to add to the off-topic-ness by writing a post lamenting the off-topic-ness that had developed!!  :)

It is so easy to spend like mad when catologues come through the door and just select this and that and so on...restraint is very difficult but has to be done. As for deals in garden centres and the like, I find restraint goes flying out of the window and if I am not careful things get bought almost at random.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:39 by Jonajo »
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Paul Plots

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2009, 11:39 »

And I think that it is probably just as well that we return very promptly to the topic rather than begin a debate on the rights and wrongs of accurate spelling....  :mad:

The irony! At least the subsequent poster DID then return to topic immediately without needing to add to the off-topic-ness by writing a post lamenting the off-topic-ness that had developed!!  :)

It is so easy to spend like mad when catologues come through the door and just select this and that and so on...restraint is very difficult but has to be done. As for deals in garden centres and the like, I find restraint goes flying out of the window and if I am not careful things get bought almost at random.

I guess the easy solution is to imagine you are on a State pension and then the choices are made easier - food, heat or spending on the "extras"  :(

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2009, 11:44 »
and no allotment!

Paul Plots

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2009, 13:10 »
Annual allotment rent = 2/3 of one week's state pension.

I'm planning for the future - financially it does not look that bright  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2009, 14:36 »
I guess the easy solution is to imagine you are on a State pension and then the choices are made easier - food, heat or spending on the "extras" 

That's the trouble......I keep forgetting I am one now   ::) :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2009, 14:50 »
I am going to have to keep checking back here to pick up tips on coping on a much reduced budget....

To keep costs down I have saved garlic from last year to sow again this year.
Elephant garlic costs a bomb to buy to grow but saved corms work well - so that's in already.

I defintely intend to spend a few pence on wallflower seed having grown several hundred plants this year I have supplied plants for my sister's garden, my parents garden and our own all from 2 packets of seed.  :)

In London, yesterday, we saw wallflower plants for sale at £3.95 for 10 and later some nearly double that price!! What a profit margin for the growers / sellers!!  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2009, 15:04 »
Well I moan about buying seeds, but in local co op very small cabbages are a £ a throw and 80p for a swede!! So i have grown 24 cabages (seeds a £1.29 enough for 2 years) and 18 swede (£1.39 for 2 years worth)......the savings soon mount up. :) The 'less common in the shop veg ' easily pay for themselves as well ..think of aubergine and courgette. That's the way to look at it...an outlay for seeds and compo..yes.. but the veg easily pay for themselves at the end of the day :)

My personal must have for the pretties are the sweet peas that take over from the rambling roses on the arch and fill my vases in the house :)

xx
Spent Hops

Started by Kanute on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 22:48
by Kanute
xx
Spent hops

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 09:51
by themoog
xx
Spent compost

Started by rnidpete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2020, 20:32
by New shoot
xx
Using spent hops

Started by allotment-shed on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2018, 16:48
by Pescador

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 37 queries.