How do I know if eggs are no good.

• 5 Replies

Andrea3wilson

How do I know if eggs are no good.
« on: August 15, 2013, 21:06 »
I have had a broody girl,she is a hybrid so didn't recognise the signs at first. We bought in six fertile eggs as we don't have a cockerel. She has sat tight on them for over one week then rejected two, and about six days later rejected another two. The rejects looked like unfertilised eggs. She has been in a broody sitting on the remaining two eggs for a total of 23 days. Today I picked up the eggs while she was eating they felt like there was fluid in them, is this a bad sign ?
The eggs were warm and apart from eating and stinky poos, she is still sitting tight, what should I do?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: How do I know if eggs are no good.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 21:20 »
Hello and welcome to the site Andrea3wilson.   :D

It is a bit late to candle them as it can harm the chicks at this late stage.  You are probably best to leave her sit for a few more days.  You can sometimes hear the chicks chirping through the egg but again at this late stage you are better leaving well alone. 

Let us know what happens.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 22:20 »
  You can sometimes hear the chicks chirping through the egg but again at this late stage you are better leaving well alone. 

Let us know what happens.   :)
[/quote]

My Nankin eggs haven't hatched yet so I messaged the guy I bought them from  He said to putthe eggs in a bowl of warm water and watch to see if any 'bobble' about which should life.  I haven't done it  and after what you say I don't think I shoud......

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 22:25 »
They are at a critical stage (humidity wise) on the last few days so I would leave well alone.  I am sure others might do differently but I would not chance it.  If they are dud a couple of days should not make a difference.

Andrea3wilson

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 20:51 »
We left her sitting for about 26 days, the eggs were no good just liquid inside. We then opened the doors to let her out of the broody. She had a spat or two but didn't seem to miss the eggs. She is now back with the girls, and hopefully getting back her previous good condition.
If we get a broody girl again we will try to source fertile eggs locally.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 22:31 »
It is better if you can collect them and you can also get advice from the breeder on how long they usually take to hatch etc.

I would check her over to make sure she has not picked up any unwanted visitors whilst brooding.  I usually use Vaseline on my broodies legs after hatching as they tend to get similar to bed sores from sitting. I apply it every one to three days depending on how bad it is.

xx
getting good eggs now

Started by ells chickens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 14:11
by IMOmimey
xx
Eggs sat on for 17 days - they don't look good -Help!

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 19:53
by dizzylizzie
xx
Unbelieveable! Four eggs laid by my bluebelle in one day - not good news

Started by caralouise1974 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 09:07
by caralouise1974
xx
What good/not good to feed hens?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 23:37
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 29 queries.