slowworms

• 8 Replies

tryx

slowworms
« on: December 02, 2012, 23:52 »
I took some plastic cover off my allotment beds and found two bady slowworms,the size of athick bootlace, not wanting to leave them exposed i relocated them to an area with leaves covered again.now i am wondering if they were old enough to feed themselves  or waiting for adult to feed them..    Of the many seen they dont eat enough slugs and i wont use slug pellets or could i?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: slowworms
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:21 »
They will be absolutely fine, don't worry  :)

They will eat small spiders and very tiny slugs, and mainly be asleep during cold weather. They often overwinter in compost heaps, or burrowed under stones or just under ground.

Hope you see them again in the Spring when they weather warms up -- they are beautiful creatures  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

tryx

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 21:13 »
i agree they are lovely things now i am used to them,the first time ifound one i froze.they are about all the time i make a compost heap of horsemanure and leaves for them in january,my plot is next to railway embankment and i sit and watch the baby foxes when they venture out of their dens

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 21:42 »
Slow worms at least know when to slide away

Fox cubs however, appear to have little fear of humans and can get into all kinds of scrapes. Last year we had a den at work, and at lunchtime one of the cubs ran away with a sweatshirt being used as a goal post for a quick game of football

Hilarious sounding but it took ages to round him up  :lol:

tryx

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 22:01 »
 i am not a football fan but that would have been a matched i could sit and wathed, it must have been so comical :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:01 »
i am not a football fan but that would have been a matched i could sit and wathed, it must have been so comical :lol:

One of the reasons it took so long to reclaim the sweatshirt was because most of us were helpless with laughter  :lol: :lol: :lol:

spottymint

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 20:17 »
Most reptiles are independent from day one, so no adult will be turning up to feed them any time soon.

Crocodiles & Alligators are 2 of the few who show any parental concern for their hatching's, most see them as breakfast.

With this cold weather, they will be looking to hibernate, your plastic cover would have seemed like a cosy, warm duvet.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 20:38 »
Oh dear, the old grey cells really aren't working so well these days. I've just been googling BADY slow worms thinking they were a breed I'd never heard of, and I was intrigued to know what they looked like. It took a while for the penny to drop that they were BABY slow worms!

spottymint

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:27 »
:
Oh dear, the old grey cells really aren't working so well these days. I've just been googling BADY slow worms thinking they were a breed I'd never heard of, and I was intrigued to know what they looked like. It took a while for the penny to drop that they were BABY slow worms!

At least you spotted the spelling mistake, I didn't   :lol:

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 35 queries.