tv licence cancelled!

• 33 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
tv licence cancelled!
« on: November 01, 2010, 20:43 »
I only watch about 4 programmes a week on I player and have cancelled my dd  for the licenceI won't be able to get a picture in March anyway.

Has anyone else done the same?
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

madcat

Re: tv licence cancelled!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 20:58 »
strictly speaking - if you watch iplayer you are liable for the license.  However ....  how anyone would make an economic case for chasing you up at that level is a challenge.     :unsure:  But possible I suppose ..... ;)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Junie

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 21:12 »

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 21:25 »
I'm ok as long as i don't watch live stuff. Just curious to find out if Iwill get threatening letters. I'm just going to keep my portable to watch dvds on with no arial plugged in.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 21:26 »
I've not had a TV licence for a few years now (I still get the threatening letters) and watch two or three programmes a week on iPlayer.
I notice they are now showing live TV on iPlayer, which I don't use, but the thought occured to me that the beeb had included broadband on the licence by stealth! :ohmy: So I wrote to my MP; in due course I was told, no I don't need a licence as long as I don't watch the live stuff!
Not sure how they police that? ???

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 21:46 »
thanks A Fallowfield

I've found the things I want to watch are never on when I want to watch them or I fall asleep all that fresh air and gardening. I refuse to spend £200 on a new arial freeview box ect.

I'm sure alot of these government 'improvements' are thought up to keep us tied in to the rat race of work, work, work, spend, spend, spend. pay tax

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 21:57 »
When my Brian moans about money, I told him that if we got rid of the TV and the Van, we'd save £500 a month!!!

Okay, not many buses around here, so we wouldn't be able to get to the shops, but we could cycle to the doctor's and get Tesco to bring the shopping!!!   :lol: :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 22:01 »
£500 per month  ?  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 22:07 »
be very careful -- this area of law is a mine field. Having a TV on teh premises is enough for you to have to have a licence or get prosecuted if you dont have a licence even if you only watch DVD and dont plug the aerial in. Please be very careful to get your facts straight.
R

Madame Cholet

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 22:12 »
I moan when i have to tax, insure, service the car ect about £1000pa i only do about 1000 miles year. But it saves me as much in the free wood it carries for the log burners.

Its says on the website you need a licence to watch live tv not to own one, lots of people use them for playing games etc
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 22:14 by rachelk »

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 22:16 »
Sorry, that total included something else as well!   :wacko: :wacko:

But would still save us a lot of money!!  :lol: :lol:

But on the TV thing, I do agree with Richard.  If you have a TV on your premises, whether you watch it or not, you are still ABLE to watch it, so you do need a TV licence.

There was a man once who was taken to court by the licensing people for having a TV without a licence, but he proved that he couldn't get any of the BBC channels and he was found innocent!  As you only pay for the BBC.  The other channels have adverts!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 22:32 »
if you only use your tv for watching dvd's why not watch them on your computor?
Staffies are softer than you think.

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 22:51 »
The last time I purchased a tv I was incensed that I had to provide my personal details to the shop assitant on a form that could be taken by anyone and be used for who knows what.  I told them it was a gift but was told that I would only be able to buy the TV if I provided details of my name and address.  I did give them a name and address in the end but it was fictitious.  I'm pretty sure this was a ruse to garner my details for the TV Licence bods as I can't believe it's a legal requirement to provide this information, or maybe I'm wrong.  It's not as if I wouldn't buy a licence I just don't like them presuming I'm a criminal.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 23:02 »
There was a time when I would have defended the BBC and quoted their quality of programming and independence to defend the tv licence.  Sadly, they now churn out the same s**t as all the other channels.

The tv licence is an anachronism and becoming just another tax on the poor.  >:(
Cheese makes everything better.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 23:23 »
Look on the bright side, it will be free once you get to 75!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 29 queries.