tv licence cancelled!

• 33 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
Re: tv licence cancelled!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 07:28 »
well said Ice thats why i only watch about three programes a week.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

madcat

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 08:17 »
I'm pretty sure this was a ruse to garner my details for the TV Licence bods as I can't believe it's a legal requirement to provide this information, or maybe I'm wrong.  It's not as if I wouldn't buy a licence I just don't like them presuming I'm a criminal.

No ruse - that is what it is for.   Call it joined up government???   :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Junie

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 08:44 »
The TV Licence is payable if your set is capable of receiving a signal, so unplugging the aerial does not count as it is still capable. 

It may be interesting to ask the question whether you have to pay for an analogue TV if the only signal you receive is digital and have no satellite or cable, as it is not capable of receiving a signal and should not longer be subject to TV licence.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 11:23 »
I'm ok as long as i don't watch live stuff. Just curious to find out if Iwill get threatening letters. I'm just going to keep my portable to watch dvds on with no arial plugged in.

So if you got rid of the portable TV for watching DVDs and played those through the computer instead....?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Junie

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 14:22 »
The last time I purchased a tv I was incensed that I had to provide my personal details to the shop assitant on a form that could be taken by anyone and be used for who knows what.  I told them it was a gift but was told that I would only be able to buy the TV if I provided details of my name and address.  I did give them a name and address in the end but it was fictitious.  I'm pretty sure this was a ruse to garner my details for the TV Licence bods as I can't believe it's a legal requirement to provide this information, or maybe I'm wrong.  It's not as if I wouldn't buy a licence I just don't like them presuming I'm a criminal.

It's been a requirement for years!
About  25 years ago I had a Saturday job in a TV Repair centre and part of the admin was to make sure all the "Green Forms" were completed fully including postcode before being sent off to TV licencing.  If my memory serves me correctly though I think you had to say it was a gift - but yes it is a legal requirement to give all the correct information.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 15:21 »
I think it's worth the licence fee just to be able to watch programs without ads (they really get on my nerves when they keep interrupting a good program, although more often than not these days they are more entertaining than the stuff in between!)  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 15:43 »
The BBC is full of ads for its own programmes etc. ::)
Cheese makes everything better.

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 16:10 »
I'm pretty sure this was a ruse to garner my details for the TV Licence bods as I can't believe it's a legal requirement to provide this information, or maybe I'm wrong.
It's been a requirement for years!
No ruse - that is what it is for.   Call it joined up government???   :unsure:

Oops, I see.  The lady must have thought I was a muppet in that case.  If they track me down I'll explain and hopefully they will understand.

It's funny because I pay more for extra channels and services through Virgin but I'm not bitter about that because it's a choice I've made rather than something that's been thrust upon me.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 16:14 »

True! (thanks for reminding me!)  :tongue2:

Junie

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 18:21 »

True! (thanks for reminding me!)  :tongue2:

Bur it is at least not every 15-20 mins through a programme!, they really irritate me too -
I had no qualms paying licence in UK for the bbc, We pay french licence here and that is all adverts too and REALLY bad programmes, but I persevere to improve my french!

evie2

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 14:31 »
I didn't know you had to have a license to watch dvd's on a tv if you weren't watching terrestrial stations ???

What about tv in caravans?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 15:10 »
you can only watch in holiday caravans if you have one at your home address.
Residential caravans obviously need their own ones  :)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 20:15 »
I finally got a definative answer from the licencing office I e-mailed them from thier website and they replied with a phone number. I had to inform them that I no longer needed the licence and they read me a statement which said that I only needed a licence to watch any live tv though any device.

So as long as you only watch i player retrospectively and watch pre-recorded stuff you are ok. They also said they may visit and inspect.

digalotty

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 19:25 »
only another 29 years ten
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

homer

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 12:33 »
we have not had a TV licence for years. We used to get threats etc. but refused to be brow beaten.
You only need a licence if you watch TV programmes as they are being broadcast.

Look at the Licencing Authority web page and keep or print the page that states why you need a licence and if you get a visit show them the page.

We are constantly being asked " So what do you do" our reply "everything else"

Homer.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:36 by homer »

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 29 queries.