Best mange tout ever

• 7 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Best mange tout ever
« on: August 25, 2012, 14:14 »
Not everything has coped this year, but I've had my best ever year for mange tout. We started eating the mange tout in the tunnel in May, then started eating the outside maincrop in mid July. I've been picking at least a handful every single day since mid July. I wish I'd been weighing them to keep track of how much it was, but it's been an enormous crop. And I'm still picking a good handful a day :)

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: Best mange tout ever
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 15:36 »
Ditto - ours was a good crop and about three bags ful in the freezer ready to throw into stir fry;s.

I find mange tout much more worthwhile than peas

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 15:54 »
yep i grew carouby de mussane, and they were very prolific and the pods were enormous  :ohmy:, i will deffinately grow them next year (well i bought 350 seeds and only used 50 of them, so ive got to  :lol:)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 15:57 »
Kent Blue for me next year!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 17:16 »
yep i grew carouby de mussane, and they were very prolific and the pods were enormous  :ohmy:, i will deffinately grow them next year (well i bought 350 seeds and only used 50 of them, so ive got to  :lol:)

Same one I did. I also had 350 in the bag and sowed all of them, hence the crop :)

They were a bit overcrowed on a double 9 foot row, but they didn't seem to mind.

I've never tried freezing mangetout, I just assumed they'd be horrid. I do use a lot of them in stir fries though. They're ok to stirfry from frozen? Do you blanch first or not bother?

mattwragg94

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 17:37 »
ive not frozen any, i just pick and munch on them as i walk around the plot, i put 50 in a 4ft row, and mine grew massive, so i cant imagine what yours would be like  :ohmy: :lol:

Mine have gone over now, and ive just started to save seed from them  ;)

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 17:46 »

Same one I did. I also had 350 in the bag and sowed all of them, hence the crop :)

They were a bit overcrowed on a double 9 foot row, but they didn't seem to mind.

I've never tried freezing mangetout, I just assumed they'd be horrid. I do use a lot of them in stir fries though. They're ok to stirfry from frozen? Do you blanch first or not bother?

i freeze them, dont bother blanching and throw them in stir fry's - sometimes not as crunchy but ok - try a few and see what you think

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 12:53 »
We've frozen them in the past and, as said, not quite as crunchy, but still full of flavour!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
mange tout

Started by Porffor on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 17:52
by DD.
xx
mange tout

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 06:48
by DD.
xx
What next for Mange Tout?

Started by Hitman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 21:43
by mumofstig
xx
Mange Tout

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 18:07
by Ma and Pa Snip

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 28 queries.