improving soil with sand and rotovator

• 1 Replies

mushroom

« on: July 06, 2007, 10:18 »
Is this the way to do it? I've dug up and either composted or otherwise thrown away the thatched grass covering about half the plot. The soil is a clay silt. Most of the weeds in this bit of soil are dead from previous mulchings. It's heavy to turn, especially with all this rain. The first 6 inches of soil are very dark, theres a lot of rotted organic matter there. Judging from nearby hydrangeas, which are very purple, i'd say the soil was alkaline.

Is the right way to go about improving the soil, to add sharp horticultural sand, and churn it all in with a rotovator? When dry, the soil bakes hard. Walking on it compacts it easily. I was thinking about getting one of those mantis tillers. Aren't there rules afoot that will outlaw 2-stroke engines?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 11:14 »
Yep that and add as much organic matter you can,
Lime in the autumn winter also helps a great deal, as it causes the clay particles to stick together randomly creating minute air pockets which help with drainage etc.

You may want to consider digging by hand occasionally as the tines of the rotavator can create a pan that hinders drainage.

I would be shocked if they outlawed 2 stroke engines can't see the train of thought on that one
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Improving heavy clay with sand

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 12, 2012, 16:54
by mumofstig
xx
Improving soil

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 23, 2016, 07:39
by tinyallotment
xx
improving our soil

Started by morbidia on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 00:42
by morbidia
xx
Improving soil in my bed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 20:09
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 32 queries.