woodchip path

• 16 Replies

neatntidy

woodchip path
« on: January 01, 2015, 20:36 »
I'm familiar with carbon needing nitrogen to break down and wonder others views as to whether woodchip paths around my raised beds will take nitrogen from soil. I feed my beds with comfrey tea, home compost, nettle tea, chicken pellets and rotted manure depending on the crop.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: woodchip path
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 20:41 »
You are woodchipping your paths, not your beds - so it'll make no difference at all, to the soil you're growing in.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:02 »
Never had a problem here

neatntidy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 20:04 »
Thanks both. Good to get a view from more experienced growers. I thought as much (or mulch!). Was considering switching to gravel paths but that would be pain and isn't free.

Godhelm

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 22:32 »
My understanding is that wood chips will take nitrogen from the soil if dug in, but even when  used as a mulch on a bed, they will take nitrogen from the air (which is about 80% nitrogen) rather than the soil. Should be absolutely no problem on paths, but they will rot and then weeds will grow!

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 06:57 »
then you dig in the rotted woodchips into your beds or add to your compost heap and replace with nice fresh woodchips

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:01 »
then you dig in the rotted woodchips into your beds or add to your compost heap and replace with nice fresh woodchips

I just add another deep layer of woodchip about twice a year, ensuring no weeds are growing to be buried, as they can easily fight their way back up again otherwise
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 08:13 »
I found that when there is a lot of leaf in the woodchips that they turn really quickly whereas the woodchip with less leaf matter is so much better for paths. I did install weed membrane under some paths and cardboard which I'm guessing has now been eaten by the worms on others.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 08:17 »
I found that when there is a lot of leaf in the woodchips that they turn really quickly whereas the woodchip with less leaf matter is so much better for paths. I did install weed membrane under some paths and cardboard which I'm guessing has now been eaten by the worms on others.

I found cardboard rotted away very quickly, and so used heavy duty woven landscape membrane, which is pretty indestructible. You are right about the leafy stuff -- I wait until we have either a dead tree or some Autumn ones without the added Greenleaf.

One morning all the paths were steaming in the sun as the green heated up like a compost heap in the sun... wish I'd had my camera with me  :lol:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 08:18 »
I find with the deeper woodchip that foxes are forever digging about in it to get worms and grubs. Some mornings it's really pockmarked.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 08:19 »
I've got old builders tonne bags as membrane under mine. Just replacing my wood chips after 2 years as they are getting weedy. I'm tipping them straight on to the beds  and they are full of worms.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 08:35 »
I find with the deeper woodchip that foxes are forever digging about in it to get worms and grubs. Some mornings it's really pockmarked.

Same here, but there isn't a lot you can do about it, I have been told to grate up some really bad perfumed soap as they don't like it, I have visions of going to the site after rain and finding it under a sea of bubbles if I do.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 09:14 »

My chickens do that (bark covered paths in my ornamental garden), they scrabble in the bark so that it sprays into the beds ... if they just moved it along the path a bit I wouldn't mind so much.  Its not as if they lay a lot of eggs either!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 09:26 »
I'm assuming that you are on sites that get free woodchip deliveries, otherwise it must work out quite expensive.

cadalot

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 09:34 »
We have managed to find a tree surgeon who drops off a load in our allotment entrance and we let him k now when it's nearly gone and he drops another load. One chap has dug his whole plot over and covered the lot in woodchips to hold back the weeds,   

xx
Moss on path

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 21:36
by Springlands
xx
Path problem

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 19:20
by Yorkie
clip
allotment path

Started by Pollen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 22:08
by Hobovore
clip
Allotment Path

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 13, 2024, 16:30
by bobbyt

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 37 queries.