New horse

• 5 Replies

chloe

• Experienced Member
New horse
« on: April 15, 2012, 13:16 »
Hi everyone,

I bought myself a lovely 5 year old 14.1 gelding last monday and he's settled in well. However, riding him on the New Forest alone is quite a task! He panicks whenever he's not in company and neighs the whole way round on the ride and is quite head strong. It may be because it's a new area, but he's been ridden his whole life on the Forest so  :wacko: Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to help get him more confident whilst riding out alone? I go out once a week with his field mate who my friend rides and he's fine, but it would be nice to go out alone sometimes as she can't ride often.
Thanks

Thrift

Re: New horse
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 16:09 »
Hi chloe. Possibly he has always been in company in the past and is totally unused to being alone.

I would suggest you work him in a small enclosed area if possible. Trot in circles and figures of eight until he is calm, relaxed and fully controlled then venture a little further away at a time. I feel it is important not to set off unless he is in that frame of mind. It is very early days as he has only just arrived.  :)

Would love to see some pics please.  :)

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:59 »
We don't have any enclosed area's unfortunatly. But I will try circles and figures of eight, when we brought him his owner said she rode him alone sometimes so he can do it but I guess it's the idea of new surroundings!   :blush:

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 16:08 »
maybe contact the ex owner maybe they have some techniques that could be slightly different to yours and your new horse may notice the change in rider then overtime you could  incorporate your techniques. also lucky you lol  :D I would love to own my own horse. My son is 5 and he rides every week very jealous of him lol  :lol:  i dont have the time anymore.   

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 15:17 »
Hi everyone, I took him out over the weekend and he was absolutely fantastic. Doing circles to get his mind going really worked, and he's a lot more confident. Thanks :D

Thrift

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 17:11 »
That's very good news chloe  :D Now you can really enjoy him and have a wonderful time; like Dawnuss I'm envious. It's 20 years since I was on  a horse but I'll never forget the joy of excursions through the countryside with a beautiful, powerful animal.

xx
Horse

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 17:59
by tosca100
xx
my horse is very ill

Started by karlooben on Pets without Feathers

26 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 21:28
by karlooben
xx
Wild horse

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 13:53
by Wild Pony
xx
My 18yo horse having fun in the sun

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 17:40
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 37 queries.