peony

• 11 Replies

white westie

peony
« on: June 25, 2010, 00:12 »
Hello there i had a peony that was growing nicely but the top was snapped of in the wind,i put some rooting powder on it and put it in a pot will it live or die does any one know.The roots are in the ground with a little of the stem sticking out should i leave it there will it come back next year?probably stupid questions but im new to all this.Thankyou. :)

Paul Plots

Re: peony
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 00:25 »
An interesting question - particularly as someone on my allotment has a beautify deep red one and I was wondering how they are propogated.... before I make a fool of myself and ask if I might have a cutting  ::)

I think the rooted plant that you have in the ground should be left there.... I would expect it to send up a new shoot or two. (Some one will let us know the answer to that one  ;) )

As for leaving it in the ground over winter.... not the foggiest.... but I am pretty sure the chap on my allotment wouldn't dig his up and keep it in for the winter.... so I guess, with a bit of frost protection (mulch?) they are probably winter hardy.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 00:32 »
There's lots of info on the web.... try this one:
Peony propagation

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 03:26 »
Must admit I've never bothered with stem propagation so I'm not sure. Can't hurt to try. But as the article indicates, it's always root division that does the trick. The plant needn't be dug up, just a small piece cut from one side is enough to get a plant going.

As for taking a growing plant in for winter - don't bother. They need the cold. If you're concerned you can always give it a bit of protection with mulch after all the tops die back but be sure to clear them away in spring to avoid diseases. I never cut my peonies back for winter, just let them flop over the crown for winter protection. Come late winter I cut away all the old growth, feed the area a bit, and let them do their thing. I'm at the point where I don't know what to do with all the divisions I'll have to make this year as my stands are so big. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 08:25 »
A protective mulch may not be a good idea at all, as they tend to sulk and not flower if they are too deep in the soil  :(

Arbutus

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 17:52 »
Plus they are incredibly hardy, shrugging off -20°C or more, and need exposure to a certain amount of winter cold in order to trigger their growth correctly the following season. 

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 01:46 »
There we go, white westie, I knew someone would help us out!  :)

Thanks everyone!!

They sound the sort of plant I'd enjoy not worrying about in the winter.  :happy:

I must talk to Mrs Learner and encourage her to have more than just the pinkish one she prizes in the front garden. A very economically & reliable plant by the sounds of it.  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 09:04 »
They are beautiful when in flower, but unfortunately have an all too brief flowering season for my small garden ...........now if I had more space  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 11:07 »
I 'rescued' my peony from next door when they were digging them all up and throwing them away!  After flowering, I just cut it down almost to ground level.  It comes back every spring!

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 15:08 »
They are beautiful when in flower, but unfortunately have an all too brief flowering season for my small garden ...........now if I had more space  :D

They do seem to get to quite a size - flowering nearly over on the one we have but I reckon we can squeeze in just one more if we squeeze something out.

What most of us need is larger gardens - or smaller asspirations dreams  ::)

Babstreefern

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 20:41 »
My mum has a lovely sweet smelling pale pink peony that she has had for years in her garden.  I got a spade and chopped a section of it out back in November/December, got it back to my allotment, dug it in and I've got half a dozen heads on it this year.  Just remember that if you want to grow plants in your garden, dig them in at least six months before they flower, eg, all spring flowering plants/bulbs, go in the previous autumn, and summer flowering plants/bulbs go in December/January.
Babs

Humbledoor

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 21:32 »
Well, there you go...I always though a peony did not like it's roots disturbed ! I have quite a few in the garden (around 8 I think) and was only thinking the other day how nice it would be if I could move a couple.

Interesting advice  :D. Will be moving a few later this year!

xx
peony

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 22:33
by Elaine G
xx
peony

Started by A Reyt Tayty on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 11:03
by sunshineband
xx
Peony

Started by black diamond on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 08:59
by little sweetpeas
clip
Peony

Started by Blackpool rocket on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2015, 12:32
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 29 queries.