What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2610 on: November 19, 2011, 19:52 »
A trip down to the plot for us today involved no work, just chin scratching. But we did some meeting and greeting of the other plot holders, a couple of them seem as batty as me so that's a good sign  :D
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2611 on: November 19, 2011, 23:08 »
Lovely sunny day today... Made another step from a pallet and collected ups all the broken flags scattered around the plot and made a pathway to the shed..

It's coming on very well Gavin.  :)

Rgds
D

Thanks Digit...  - doing as and when I can... getting all the infrastructure done first and my sons are helping with digging when they can.

Getting the ibc 1000 lt tank and greenhouse onto a trailer on Tuesday to deliver to the plot..   :D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2612 on: November 20, 2011, 06:31 »
Some lost after yesterday storm  :( it was something like 200mm rain in a one day plus wind. On good side - all garlic came out and no broken trees at mountain side  :D

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #2613 on: November 20, 2011, 13:54 »
Helped myself to three builder merchant bags of leaves from a very large pile delivered to the allotment site. It was easier to transport them to the plots doing this.
Started to modernise the Blackberry frame with old 'for sale board' posts and split some Rhubarb up.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2614 on: November 20, 2011, 15:02 »
Must be the day for leaves Nige  :D

Took two car trips with plastic tubs full of rotting leaves from where the council had twipped them over to my plot to mluhc the whole of the fruit bed (not lazy -- our site is at least half a mile across and I am at the far end, plus I am walking with a stick right now  :tongue2:) Cut down the autumn raspberries and took the dead leves off the kale and winter cabbages.

Mr Sunny finished digging out the space on our front verge and planted the five rose bushes a friend wanted relocated from her garden.

Looks great :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #2615 on: November 20, 2011, 16:44 »
Lifted what was left of a row of Autumn Kings - at some point during the week something has raided the patch.  I'm guessing voles  :mad: 

They kindly left me some puzzling carrot top carcasses which had been perfectly gouged out - and a few bottom ends.  The same odd sculpting took place on the beetroot a few weeks ago.

Cleared up some netting, earthed up the leeks.

AnneB

« Reply #2616 on: November 20, 2011, 16:49 »

Only spent an hour today as recovering from a nasty flu like virus, so first visit in 2 weeks, with other half.

Harvested some cabbage, kale, leeks and red celery.  Added the sweetcorn to the compost bin.  Dug over a bed and inspected the garlic and over-wintering onions, hoping they will be established enough for winter.  Spotted one neighbour through the fog.

gavinjconway

« Reply #2617 on: November 20, 2011, 17:27 »
Cleared all the loose bricks.. broken greenhouse glass, used magnet to remove nails and screws from an old burn dump - I really dont know what the previous tenent used to burn - I got a bucket of nails etc.. Also made 8mt of centre pathway with planks either side.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2618 on: November 20, 2011, 18:02 »
Cleared all the loose bricks.. broken greenhouse glass, used magnet to remove nails and screws from an old burn dump - I really dont know what the previous tenent used to burn - I got a bucket of nails etc.. Also made 8mt of centre pathway with planks either side.

Probably burnt pallets  :lol:

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2619 on: November 20, 2011, 18:06 »
Did some clearing up move my comfrey barrel away from my shed should never have put there  :lol: dug over some more of the empty plot for next year about time i ordered my manure :) :)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

snowdrops

« Reply #2620 on: November 20, 2011, 19:00 »
Finished digging where the raspberries are going to be moved too,then forked in 3 barrow loads of manure that Mr S barrowed up to the new plot for me from the old plot. Mr S then brought up the old dalek bins,the rest of the slabs & then we got up the weed membrane paths up & dumped it on the top plots.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2621 on: November 20, 2011, 19:39 »
Our second weekend session today of three hours resulted in us cutting back what we believe to be our Autumn Raspberries, and re-establishing their frame. Also the rhubarb bed has been completely reclaimed from weeds, re-established, temporarily edged and mulched with the compost that we finished sieving today. Also dug up six Sycamore saplings. Am thinking that a garden incinerator is going to be needed. Pics below show Raspberry bed before and after (it will be weeded and given a good hoeing next week), and the finished Rhubarb bed, which will hopefully give us our first crop in the Spring.

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2622 on: November 20, 2011, 20:55 »
Went to plot for the first time in six weeks!!! (newborn baby in house...), surveyed my green compost coming along nicley, and dropped off bags of council compost. Need to cutback blackberry bushes, weed plot and get winter broad beans in ASAP!!!!

gavinjconway

« Reply #2623 on: November 20, 2011, 20:57 »

Probably burnt pallets  :lol:

Noooooo Sunny... my pallets are burnt on another patch... also the pile I collected are mostly screws... the ex tenant was a sparky so probably dumped all his waste and burnt it!! 

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2624 on: November 20, 2011, 20:59 »
We have a wee one in our house too. It's been a quiet summer on our plot but she is now getting used to being on the plot. Didn't get up this weekend as chris has been working on our chicken house to be.

After a few issues the start has been firmly made.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 29 queries.