• 2810 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2580 on: November 14, 2011, 09:29 »
Great effort there Hesse -- like the shed  :D

We managed to finish weeding the last bed (pumpkins this year), and I took down half of the runner bean canes.

Took up the enormous amout of annual lavatera, saved some of the seeds for next year and Mr Sunny barrowed all the debris to the tip ---- to much to cut up for the compost bin and mostly woody stems now too

Watered the minitunnel and filled the remaining water butts up at the top end of the plot a long way from the rainwater butts, ready for the drought that seems to come every year in the cold weather -- and the water will be turned off  :lol:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2581 on: November 14, 2011, 10:50 »
My first day working our new (and first) allotment today after getting the keys on Wednesday.

Today was about clearing the area around the shed and compost heaps so that we have a base to work from to clear the rest of the plot. Sorted out the two established heaps by aerating one that will be ready for use I would have thought pretty soon, and rebuilding the other completely. We also set about preparing the area for a new compost bin, which I had obtained via the local Freegle group, and put this in place, although at the moment it is empty.

We have re-established one of the boundary walls, which was heavily overgrown with ivy, bramble, and what I think is an Elderberry tree. Cleared last year's dead rhubarb away from the dormant crowns ready for mulching next week, dug up a bramble in the middle of the plot, and filled an old (I hope!) rabbit hole. Oh yes, and emptied a bath tub full of stagnant water, that I will plumb into the shed's guttering downpipe next week, as apparently the water supply does not come on until April, so is invaluable.

Not bad for two hours graft!!!!  :tongue2:

Below are 'Before' and 'After' photos of the shed and compost area, with the boundary wall running between. Can't really see the work we've done on the compost heaps as they are under the tarp. The final picture gives an idea of the work to come before we can start thinking about planting!

I can't quite tell from the photo but that could be bindweed in the before picture, if it is may be worth trying to control it a bit come the spring.

I've got it in one corner of the plot luckily it's found a host in an old apple tree so isn't spreading just be careful if you see any white roots in the compost as you could spread it around.
Faff free zone!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2582 on: November 14, 2011, 16:33 »
Spent three hours with hubby at the allotment yesterday.  Planted out some broccoli and lettuce plants I had started off quite a while ago. 

Also managed to plant the garlic and shallots, just got the onions to do now. 

I had a bizarre harvesting session yesterday where I picked two cabbages, three leeks, turnips, radishes, a couple of kilos of brussel sprouts, raspberries, tomatoes, chillis and aubergines!  Seemed so odd looking at the bounty - I would never think I would be picking brussel sprouts and tomatoes at the same time!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

jmc1949

« Reply #2583 on: November 14, 2011, 18:25 »
Continued digging out the couch grass from the recently dug area.  Keep thinking I'm making progress but a couple of days later more seems to have sprouted!!

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2584 on: November 14, 2011, 18:34 »

I can't quite tell from the photo but that could be bindweed in the before picture, if it is may be worth trying to control it a bit come the spring.

I've got it in one corner of the plot luckily it's found a host in an old apple tree so isn't spreading just be careful if you see any white roots in the compost as you could spread it around.

Cheers for the advice Bazh; I think you're right it is bindweed, and it was well rooted in the compost heap. I'm hoping as long as I manage to keep it out of the compost I can keep it off of the plot, as there is about three foot of matting between the compost heap and the first bed (Raspberry canes). Fingers crossed!

Out of interest, I've already picked out a fair few of those white roots from the compost heap. What's the best way to dispose of them safely without a trip to landfill/burning?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 18:41 by Hesse2509 »

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2585 on: November 14, 2011, 19:00 »

Cheers for the advice Bazh; I think you're right it is bindweed, and it was well rooted in the compost heap. I'm hoping as long as I manage to keep it out of the compost I can keep it off of the plot, as there is about three foot of matting between the compost heap and the first bed (Raspberry canes). Fingers crossed!

Out of interest, I've already picked out a fair few of those white roots from the compost heap. What's the best way to dispose of them safely without a trip to landfill/burning?

I thought it was from the pic, as for the roots either put them in a bucket of water for month or bag em and take them off site.

I took my plot over about a month ago my bindweed is bad but because it happily climbs the apple tree it's not spread, I have 2 compost bins like yours right underneath the apple tree so the roots have got in I emptied it yesterday and put the compost on the plot and bagged the roots I took out you can't miss them. The compost was fantastic so wasn't going to waste it.

I plan on building a bean teepee next to the tree next year and train the bindweed up it, once it is established spraying it to try and kill it off or at least make it more managable.

You can tell from the photo your down south mine pretty much died off now and yours still looks fairly green.

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2586 on: November 14, 2011, 19:15 »
That sounds like a pretty cool way of getting rid of it permanently. Like yourself I have an old tree to keep mine happy, in my case an elderberry I think. I'm inclined to pretty much let mine be though as long as I just keep an eye on it, as it doesn't appear be doing any harm (for now at least!)

jmc1949

« Reply #2587 on: November 15, 2011, 16:15 »
Spent 3 hours digging over the raised beds again and removing more couch grass which was starting to sprout again. Then started laying 400mm sq flags on pathway. A very enjoyable morning.

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #2588 on: November 15, 2011, 17:13 »
Put two posts and linked one wire as a beginning of a fan for the second plum tree. At least it now has some support like it's mate which was done sunday.

Also had a quick tidy of some weeds and raspberry runners.
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2589 on: November 15, 2011, 17:35 »
Stripped 5 pallets and delivered them to the plot for making my raised centre pathway..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

jmc1949

« Reply #2590 on: November 16, 2011, 14:07 »
Haven't been to the allotment today. Decided to concentrate on the garden. So I've taken up a lot of the summer bedding from the front garden. There is still a lot of bedding that is flowering beautifully, so have left it. Why remove the colour before I have too. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2591 on: November 16, 2011, 16:25 »
Not the plot, not even the garden, but still felt the need to rake and pick up 3 bagfulls of leaves from around my street tree.

It's not a job I've had to do for a few years as they're normally whisked away by autumn winds, but I'm not complaining as I'll have some nice leaf mould after they've been hiding behind the shed for a couple of years.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2592 on: November 16, 2011, 21:08 »
Got given a White Currant so put it in a pot till my plot is ready for it...

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2593 on: November 17, 2011, 09:12 »
Long time no see. Glad, you doing well.  :D Done with garlic(thinking to plant 20kg more, but maybe next season). Today started to plant grains - some wheat, rye and oat. Lucky no rain during the week, but weather forcast promising some on coming weekend.

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #2594 on: November 17, 2011, 17:21 »
Since we had some sun today and it was dry, I took the opportunity to weed the paths between the apples/raspberries and currants. It now looks tidy for winter. Also cleared a flush of weeds again from this years onion and tatty patch.

Made a start removing the dead asparagus ferns, though not all have finished yet.

Picked an eyeful of calabrese.

Had a quick dig on Mays acquisition (Plot 97) and cleared more of the dreaded docks though this last corner actually now seems to have more buttercups than anything else.

:) :) :)

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 30 queries.