What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Gandan57

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #1830 on: June 23, 2011, 12:42 »
Dug some more early spuds so I could plant out the third sowing of runner beans that were started off in bags in pots on the 1st of the month. Also sowed a few runner seed for a November harvest. ::)

Special offer exclusively at Morrisons Weston-super-Mare.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1831 on: June 23, 2011, 13:12 »
got the leeks dibbed in before the rain started :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1832 on: June 23, 2011, 15:47 »
More weeding --- on top of this now for a day or two

More asparagus beetle squashing--  not on top of this  :tongue2:

and celebrated the arrival of some parsnip seedlings from an end of April sowing   ???
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Grubbypaws

« Reply #1833 on: June 23, 2011, 15:49 »
ooh I had given my parsnip seeds up and was going to use the space for something else.

Doddy

• Always learning
« Reply #1834 on: June 23, 2011, 20:11 »
Don't mention blooming parsnip.... I've been spending the afternoon weeding errant parsnips from all the beds - reckon someone got frustrated with em and flung the seeds to the four winds. Our most prevalent weed at this point are parsnips. To rub salt into the wound, most of the neighbouring plots complain they can't grow parsnips.

Also, Planted yellow mange-tout in the old 1st-early bed, as recommended on here.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1835 on: June 23, 2011, 20:18 »
Finally planted a pumpkin where the first earlies came from. I can already see small pumpkins on it. Also two hours of weeding
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

grendel

« Reply #1836 on: June 23, 2011, 22:06 »
weeded a bit, netted the strawbs (a bit late I know) and dug some potatoes.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1837 on: June 24, 2011, 07:33 »
had a look yesterday evening after a really dodo day at work. made a choco cake for my dear friend for her birthday and couldn't even leave in time to see her and give it  :( and a software product solution fix didn't even work after so many hours spent on it, really hacked off  >:(  :mad:  :mad:

yesterday evening something brighten my day and saw all my cauliflowers have started to develop the white bulb in the middle. 1 looked 3in wide others were 1in big. cabbage have started to bulb up in the centre. haven't got high hopes for brocolli but i did sow them late.

the weekend is coming now   :D

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1838 on: June 24, 2011, 10:39 »
and a software product solution fix didn't even work after so many hours spent on it, really hacked off  >:( 
One of the reasons, why i gave up on computers while ago :)

My lovely potatoes coming soon, i guess in about 1 week, as planned to get them right after rainy season :D
Experiment with tomatoes going ummm say ok, thinking to get my own seeds, but i know they are hybrid  ???
Ordered fuel tank for trimmer - my mad skillz(using pet bottle as fuel tank) doesn't looks robust enough ::)
And i have problem.... i can not get beetroot seeds here  :ohmy: at all.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1839 on: June 24, 2011, 11:39 »
Are beetroot not grown there usually then, Vit?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1840 on: June 24, 2011, 15:31 »
Surveyed my veg plot this afternoon after a week away on holiday - carrots, Florence fennel and Little Gem lettuce all germinated, most other things outside pretty much standing still (apart from one of my 3 courgette plants which apparently decided to walk off the plot altogether!)

The 2 Sweet Million tomato plants in the green house now absolutely dwarfing the 2 cordon varieties in both height and spread. ( :unsure:)

Weeds have had an absolute party whilst my back has been turned; looks like a large part of tomorrow will be spent on my hands and knees.  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Springlands

« Reply #1841 on: June 24, 2011, 15:52 »

The 2 Sweet Million tomato plants in the green house now absolutely dwarfing the 2 cordon varieties in both height and spread. ( :unsure:)

Hi JayG - it is amazing how much changes on you plot in a week. According to Marshall's sweet million tomato plants are cordons however just like you my plants are taking over the greenhouse like triffids - they are growing upwards but also outwards. I have never seen leaves as big on a tomato plant. I am thinking of cutting part of some of the leaves off as they are really over crowding each other but am not sure if this is a good idea.

Ralphy

« Reply #1842 on: June 24, 2011, 16:06 »
Nothing! :( i've been stuck doing split shifts al week >:( .  last went down on monday, built a shed  :) and loads of raspberrys were nearly ready for picking. when this run of dreadful shifts is over i'll probably get down to find nothing but happy birds, too fat to fly away!
is pottering about a vocation?

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #1843 on: June 24, 2011, 16:41 »
shifted a ton and half of muck with a fellow plot holder, weeded brassica's n tatties planted some beetroot...need to see to the greenhouse crops after tea as the Tomatillo's and sunflowers are taking over the tomato's and im not having that.  :closedeyes:
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

AnneB

« Reply #1844 on: June 24, 2011, 18:56 »
Planted some swede, more turnips and some pak choi.  Noticed that the runner beans have recovered from their cold / wind battering, the seaweed feed seemed to do them good.  Now have flowers - yippee!

Mr. B. started digging out the ground for another raised bed.  For once the horsetail although there is not a complete knot - this is the bit of the allotment that was under the dreaded blue carpet, so it must have had an effect once.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 31 queries.