What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #1770 on: June 17, 2011, 23:04 »
Been to work boo hoo. Lottie's been neglected

And I have a sister who thinks it's my job 7 days a week to look after our parents as she is busy with "other commitments"  >:(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1771 on: June 17, 2011, 23:52 »
On the farm - nothing. It was rainy. But made geiger counter  :D

grendel

« Reply #1772 on: June 18, 2011, 11:36 »
well  the last few days after work has been raining heavily - so finally at 7.30am this morning they were planted out, as was some chard. by 8am I had  finished, just needing a re-visit to put up some netting over my broccoli chard and courgettes. OK then, lets plant out the rest of the bits up the other half plot - back home - pick up netting and more trays of plants. up the other plot by 8.30am - worked through until 10am planting up tomatoes, water melon, more chard and some ground cherry tomatoes, did some more rotavating, still space up there - about 1/3 of that half plot left, weeds that were rotavated need raking. rotovated the new 1m strip under the hedge, boy do the roots there wind themselves around the blades, stop every few minutes to clear them.
Then back up the first plot to deploy the netting, posts put in with cross bars, netting deploted and weighted down around the sides with old conduit. finished just as it started spitting. got home - unloaded, was just standing in the conservatory when the heavens opened. perfect timing.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Springlands

« Reply #1773 on: June 18, 2011, 12:12 »
well  the last few days after work has been raining heavily - so finally at 7.30am this morning they were planted out, as was some chard. by 8am I had  finished, just needing a re-visit to put up some netting over my broccoli chard and courgettes. OK then, lets plant out the rest of the bits up the other half plot - back home - pick up netting and more trays of plants. up the other plot by 8.30am - worked through until 10am planting up tomatoes, water melon, more chard and some ground cherry tomatoes, did some more rotavating, still space up there - about 1/3 of that half plot left, weeds that were rotavated need raking. rotovated the new 1m strip under the hedge, boy do the roots there wind themselves around the blades, stop every few minutes to clear them.
Then back up the first plot to deploy the netting, posts put in with cross bars, netting deploted and weighted down around the sides with old conduit. finished just as it started spitting. got home - unloaded, was just standing in the conservatory when the heavens opened. perfect timing.
Grendel

Grendel - I am tired just reading your post  ;) ;)

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #1774 on: June 18, 2011, 15:03 »
Weeded, planted some carrots and swiss chard seeds, dug our first harvest of potatoes. " 
 2 1/2lbs of Home Guard, which we will be having for dinner with plenty of butter! :D

Grubbypaws

« Reply #1775 on: June 18, 2011, 15:34 »
Picked all the leaves affected by rust off my raspberries  :(

harvested some more Pak Choi and thought about standing in the street and giving them to complete strangers!

Ate my first carrot and planted some more.

Got excited about a new raised bed that I am planning  :D

LilacSandy

« Reply #1776 on: June 18, 2011, 15:52 »
Much too wet today, sat in the greenhouse planting any spare seeds I could find and taking cuttings of Lavender and current bushes for our Open Day

RsT

« Reply #1777 on: June 18, 2011, 17:44 »
Started a takeover of the front garden!
Have run out of space in my allocated space in the back garden and we have a silly front garden with a bit of grass about 4 foot wide by 20 foot long, which tends just to get strimmed a couple of times a year.
Wife foolishly said Something about would the pumpkin plant I was looking for a home for fit in there? 10 minutes later I was out with the fork!

Cleared enough space for the pumpkin and dug in a load of manure and BFB, if the plan works he can grow and crawl along the path under the window, that leaves enough space for some rescued sweetcorn plants from Focus that may or may not come to anything and the rest of my leeks that all seem to have germinated!
Looks like a busy day of digging tomorrow!  :ohmy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #1778 on: June 18, 2011, 17:48 »
Started a takeover of the front garden!
Have run out of space in my allocated space in the back garden and we have a silly front garden with a bit of grass about 4 foot wide by 20 foot long, which tends just to get strimmed a couple of times a year.
Wife foolishly said Something about would the pumpkin plant I was looking for a home for fit in there? 10 minutes later I was out with the fork!

Cleared enough space for the pumpkin and dug in a load of manure and BFB, if the plan works he can grow and crawl along the path under the window, that leaves enough space for some rescued sweetcorn plants from Focus that may or may not come to anything and the rest of my leeks that all seem to have germinated!
Looks like a busy day of digging tomorrow!  :ohmy:

You're lucky "we" are debating whether or not I could shrink the back lawn a little, move a flower bed forward and make room for another lean-to greenhouse.

I have until Sunday to persuade as the "out of season" 10% off sale finishes then.  :blink:

RsT

« Reply #1779 on: June 18, 2011, 17:54 »
I know Learner, very lucky! ::)

I'm thinking of it as an early fathers day present as the pumpkin gets grown for our sons Halloween pumpkin (the rest will just accidentally get put in whilst shes shopping tomorrow ;))
Have my name down for an allotment now as I realise there is only so much space I can "negotiate" on!!

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1780 on: June 18, 2011, 18:04 »
At work again and now its raining so two days without going I'm getting withdrawal symptoms
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

Grubbypaws

« Reply #1781 on: June 18, 2011, 18:05 »
We too had a silly bit of front garden which is now a raised bed heaven; I have just ordered another one and cant wait.

There are no allotments available so it was the front garden or nothing. Fortunately husband is all for it although I am not sure that the postman agrees!

How many raised beds do I need to get to a proper allotment size? So far I have

One 2 foot by 8 foot which contains the asparagus
Second is 6 foot by 4 foot and contains things that like lots of water; Pak Choi and my turnips
Third is 4 foot by 4 foot and contains spinach, onions and beets

The newest one will be 8 foot by 4 foot....oh and I have 40 containers

I should have taken a before and after picture  ::)

grendel

« Reply #1782 on: June 19, 2011, 13:29 »
up the plot by 8.30 am, quick rotavate under the hedge and then planted up the swedes in the shade, then I stopped the rotovator and couldnt restart because it had flooded, ah well more carb adjustments needed then.
Also planted some quick broccoli out then down to the shops for 10am and a fathers day card for my dad. trip to my dads, got given a big roll of netting for the plot.
Grendel

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1783 on: June 19, 2011, 14:21 »
being fathers day today i wanted to cook something for my papa and i couldn't resist digging up the maris pipers to see what's under there and use them for the breakfast. they were small new potato's but strangely no big ones  :blink: and yield was very small. had a little taste and very potato like  :happy: so can't complain really

wait for the Cara next and see what's happened there  :unsure:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1784 on: June 19, 2011, 14:49 »
Spent an hour crushing asparagus beetles and their disgusting larvae  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

56 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 20:11
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 37 queries.