What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #780 on: March 23, 2011, 14:16 »
Wish it was the weekend so i could be on our plot instead of being in the office. Feel i am missing out on this glorious planting weather.

Oh Boy, I agree with you all the way with that.

Me too, it's gorgeous weather here and I'm stuck in a call-centre, shackled to my desk and headset  :(

Not all jobs are enjoyable even in the sunshine!

Spent the last couple of hours up to my shoulder in slimy pond-goo fishing out a water lily (which I am trying to give away in "Swap Shop", by the way.) Also yanked out armfuls of smelly pondweed and gunk and came close to soiling myself when a frog jumped out of it.  :ohmy:  ::)
Yuk!  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Rich

• The carrot has mystery. Flowers are tarts for bees
« Reply #781 on: March 23, 2011, 15:15 »
im sure that wouldnt be good for the water quality but i know what you mean. Had a frog jump out of the compost i was busy turning over,gave me quite a start and it was nearly bye bye froggie if he hadnt moved when he did.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #782 on: March 23, 2011, 15:34 »
got to the lotty at 8am pottered about till 9am then i ripped open the behemoth that is my rotavator and did the spud patch one more time then using a trenching spade

ive put in 22 rows at 21 feet of spuds consisting of

5 1st early

6 2nd early

11 rows of main

and im creamed crackered ive just got back fed the dogs opened up a can of stella and poured myself a large vodka to go with it and im toasting my allotment and al  of yours
for the coming season

and then im taking my drinks for a cold bath

cheers

Paul Plots

« Reply #783 on: March 23, 2011, 16:26 »
got to the lotty at 8am pottered about till 9am then i ripped open the behemoth that is my rotavator and did the spud patch one more time then using a trenching spade

ive put in 22 rows at 21 feet of spuds consisting of

5 1st early

6 2nd early

11 rows of main

and im creamed crackered ive just got back fed the dogs opened up a can of stella and poured myself a large vodka to go with it and im toasting my allotment and al  of yours
for the coming season

cheers

Sounds like heaven!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Lardman

« Reply #784 on: March 23, 2011, 16:27 »
Potted on peppers, physalis and chard.
Sowed Beetroot bolthardy and chioggia, spring onions, peppers and emptied 3 x 1/2 packets of old parsnip seeds into a 1/4 bed.
Pricked out 20 rosemary seedlings

Im sure theres more Im supposed to be doing but for the life of me I can't remember what.

Epona_4

• Experienced Member
« Reply #785 on: March 23, 2011, 16:30 »
im creamed crackered ive just got back fed the dogs opened up a can of stella and poured myself a large vodka to go with it and im toasting my allotment and al  of yours
for the coming season

cheers

i have planted out some herbs and laid some turf it doesnt sound much but i too am creamed so to speak......i am joining you with a an ice cold can of cider!  8)

(edit to clarify quote)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 16:38 by mumofstig »

Paul Plots

« Reply #786 on: March 23, 2011, 16:33 »

for the coming season

cheers

i have planted out some herbs and laid some turf it doesnt sound much but i too am creamed so to speak......i am joining you with a an ice cold can of cider!  8)

Hot strong tea with two sugars.... a great cooling & refreshing drink.  ;)

Junie

« Reply #787 on: March 23, 2011, 17:30 »
Planted some potatoes, weeded between the strawberries which are coming into flower, pruned some plum hedge which was encroaching onto the plot and will arrange the blossom branches into a vase this evening  ::)

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #788 on: March 23, 2011, 18:14 »
Am using this lovely week off work to completely blitz the allotment, get rid of all the winter weeds, dig the whole thing over and tidy everything up.  This weekend I am hoping to build a hard standing for the shed and conscript a few random volunteers to move the shed onto it.  Then the shed roof needs refelting and it needs repainting with wood stain.  I might also put down some turf paths.  Also need to get some sowing done. 

After three days of more or less solid digging and weeding I am completely cream crackered, needless to say.

grendel

« Reply #789 on: March 23, 2011, 19:02 »
another quick visit to the plot, after work, this time I used some more pallets to build a bench seat at the end of my compost bins, and finished digging the first pair of beds on that plot, may be planting some seed potatoes from sainsburys at the weekend.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #790 on: March 23, 2011, 19:09 »
I planted a bamboo,hopefully to grow my own bean sticks!  :wub: I also surrounded our tattie patch (went in yesterday) with wire fencing to keep the foxes (& badgers)? from digging them up.  >:( 

I also pulled up the P.S.B. that hadn't made it through the winter,  :mad: got three left so keeping the fingers crossed.   ::)  Cheers,  Tony.-Cheers,   Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Chrysalis

« Reply #791 on: March 23, 2011, 19:40 »
Planted beetroot, spinach outside, with protection; pricked out chillis, peppers, squashes and courgettes from propagators into 3" pots (paper and peat and plastic - I like to try them all!) for growing on/resting in the front room; sowed more peas, runners, spring onions and something else, I can't remember.  But the main thing is I planted and did it all on my new potting bench in the new greenhouse.   ::)My OH took a tip from Grendel  :nowink: and used a couple of pallets from the big soil delivery to make the bench.  Thanks for all the great tips.. :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #792 on: March 23, 2011, 22:30 »
.........I also pulled up the P.S.B. that hadn't made it through the winter,  :mad: got three left so keeping the fingers crossed.   ::)  Cheers,  Tony.-Cheers,   Tony

At the rate my PSB is coming along I think it'll be "summer" sprouting by the time it produces anything!  :(

hardcj

« Reply #793 on: March 23, 2011, 22:49 »
My first post....But today I potted up my broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprout seedlings. Then I tidied the top of my plot where the perimeter fence meets it.....brambles galore! Now it has 5 compost bins (2 palleted and 3 plastic) and a wood chip path.

Noticed my onion sets, garlic, peas and raddishes are coming through on the plot. In the greenhouse, Lettuce, peas and tomato's are coming through! 20 early sweetcorn are doing well! will chitt some more in a few weeks time!

Little bit more digging to do on friday and then a general hoe round established plants/bushes!

Paul Plots

« Reply #794 on: March 23, 2011, 22:52 »
My first post....But today I potted up my broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprout seedlings. Then I tidied the top of my plot where the perimeter fence meets it.....brambles galore! Now it has 5 compost bins (2 palleted and 3 plastic) and a wood chip path.

Noticed my onion sets, garlic, peas and raddishes are coming through on the plot. In the greenhouse, Lettuce, peas and tomato's are coming through! 20 early sweetcorn are doing well! will chitt some more in a few weeks time!

Little bit more digging to do on friday and then a general hoe round established plants/bushes!

You are doing well. Which part of the country are you from..... your profile doesn't say.  :blink:  :unsure:

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 31 queries.