Which TLC for raspberries?

• 8 Replies

pepper

• Experienced Member
« on: July 08, 2007, 16:55 »
My raspberries crop this year has been really poor. I planned to prune out the old canes, thin the new ones and give them a bit of TLC in the form of a manure mulch and a good feed next spring.
My neighbour on the next plot said that she dug out her canes, dug in lots of manure and compost and put the canes back. Since then she has had wonderful raspberries. They certainly did look good.
What do you think??
Pepper
monica

Spon

Which TLC fo raspberries
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 17:33 »
I treated mine to a heavy mulch of farmyard manure in April this year but the crop is still poor. It is a little better than last year so perhaps the mulch was applied too late.
I gave one of my allotment neighbours one of my surplus canes last year. He just bodged it in a corner of his lottie without any TLC at all and now has a magnificent crop!

splodger

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 21:55 »
bit early to prune raspberries - i'd wait for til august for summer fruiters.

pepper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 15:01 »
I will wait until August and give 'em a good going over.
Hopefully feeding and mulching will work.
Thanks

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Re: Which TLC for raspberries?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 17:11 »
Quote from: "pepper"
My raspberries crop this year has been really poor.

Do you mean you have actually pocked some? Mine haven't started yet, although there will be a good crop when they do.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 03:23 »
Wait until the plants start dying back for winter and then add lots of aged manure around the bases. By then most old canes are already dead/dying and are easy to simply pull out. Almost hate to say that the plants need watering too, that is if Noah's flood ever stops. This way they're ready to take off in the spring. They'll start long before you realize so a fall application is best, and be generous.

Over here I've been picking early berries already. Main crop is less than a week away.

pepper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 18:15 »
I inherited the raspberry canes and have no idea what variety they are - they have nearly finished so assume they must be an early variety. They really were terrible this year! All my other soft fruit bushes have produced loads of fruit - I've had to buy another freezer to put it all in!
Pepper.

wellingtons

If your raspberries have now finished ...
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:57 »
... fruiting, they'll be summer raspberries.  So you need to prune the shoots that bear fruit back to the ground because it will be the new shoots that are now growing vigorously that will bear fruit next year.  Once you've done that look at the new shoots, keep about 6 per plant, obviously selecting the healthiest and most vigorous.

I've had the best crop ever this year from my inherited frames and I just dug in some manure in the autumn and mulched the beds in about February.  And gave them a stern talking to ...  :lol:

pepper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 10:16 »
Thanks for the advice everyone who replied, I  have plenty to work on now and I will also certainly give them a good talking to as well (had plenty of practise at this as I'm a retired teacher)! If it ever stops raining that is.....
Pepper

xx
Raspberries

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 22:35
by Elaine G
xx
Raspberries

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2018, 11:25
by New shoot
xx
Raspberries

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 21:17
by Matthew Gayles
xx
Raspberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 13:14
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 28 queries.