Which of these need deep pots .... beans, cucumber, sweetcorn

• 5 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
I am about to sow some seeds for my new allotment and was wondering about pot sizes for various seeds

I intend sowing ... French climbing bean, runner bean, cucumber, sweet corn and courgette

I already have stacks of normal 3 inch pots, although these may be a bit small. I have some 4" pots too, but not that many.

I am thinking of making some paper pots, so I can make them as deep as necessary.

My question is therefore which of the plants mentioned would prefer deeper pots ? I'll be planting out the seedlings early in June, the cucumbers will g in the GH.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
They should all be fine for a month in 3/4inch pots to be honest. The sweetcorn I would do in paper pots as they don't really like having their roots disturbed.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
As previously intimidated, the answer is "none of the above", as regards seedlings.

As per a previous post of mine, I use cat litter trays for runner bean seed and get 35 in one tray. This saves a lot of pots, compost and space!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Its not critical, but if you did have a supply of long thin pots, or toilet roll insides, I would use them for corn.  Corn roots do seen to head for Australia at high speed.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
The sweetcorn I would do in paper pots as they don't really like having their roots disturbed.

I disturbed loads of mine this and l;ast year and every single one took.. I also heard they dont like it but i proved thee theory wrong. I sow into 24 module trays and when they are about 6-12" high they go out into the big wide world.. quite a few of the compost fall apart and i just shove them in with some fresh compose around them  and they dont look back.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

3 allotments

• now is the time
I too sowed 2 sweetcorn seed per 2 inch pot grew them too 3 inch split them up and repotted into 6 inch pots and they all survived i heard they they dont like root disturbance ,not had a problem ;)
diggity dig dig

xx
Peppers....deep pots or not?

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 16:33
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Runner Beans in a pot - how deep?

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 20:41
by BobE
xx
Planted broad beans too deep

Started by Bach in the DHSS on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 22:10
by Totty
xx
Can i grow sweetcorn, Marrow & Cucumber together in a 3x3ft bed

Started by pol and mick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 21:43
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 28 queries.