Best blight resistant tomatoes?

• 12 Replies

Potterer

• Experienced Member
Best blight resistant tomatoes?
« on: September 08, 2023, 22:26 »
Hi. I’ve grown Crimson Crush and Crimson Crush this year. I was late though in getting them in and I have one heck of a lot of green tomatoes, and the first signs of blight. I’d be very interested to know about other blight resistant tomatoes and how they have done/are doing for you.
Thanks

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Best blight resistant tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 02:07 »
There is a HUGE amount of information from the good folks at Cornell University regarding vegetable diseases at this website: https://www.vegetables.cornell.edu/pest-management/disease-factsheets/

including disase-resistant varieties at: https://www.vegetables.cornell.edu/pest-management/disease-factsheets/disease-resistant-vegetable-varieties/

and specifically disease-resistant tomatoes at: https://www.vegetables.cornell.edu/pest-management/disease-factsheets/disease-resistant-vegetable-varieties/disease-resistant-tomato-varieties/
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 10:20 »
Thanks Subversive, it certainly looks very comprehensive! I’d also be interested in experiences of UK growers and any to avoid or try

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 16:28 »
This year I've grown Crimson Crush and Primabella outside on the plot. Both are showing no signs of blight.

I grow CC each year and it's OK in terms of flavour. First year for Primabella and is better flavoured. Neither have been quick to ripen but not helped by the weather and were sown in mid-April rather than early in the month.

I grew Skyomish several years ago which have some blight resistance but succumbed so haven't grown again. I don't think I was particularly taken by the flavour.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 17:32 »
Hi. I’ve grown Crimson Crush and Crimson Crush this year. I was late though in getting them in and I have one heck of a lot of green tomatoes, and the first signs of blight. I’d be very interested to know about other blight resistant tomatoes and how they have done/are doing for you.
Thanks

This is sort of off-topic (maybe definitely off-topic), but if you find yourself with a bunch of green tomatoes, you can always try frying them, recipe here:  https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=133142.msg1538876#msg1538876

There are also a number of recipes elsewhere online for pickled green tomatoes, both shelf-stable and "quick pickle" versions. If I can locate my own recipe, I will post it in the cooking, storing and preserving forum.

For either fried or green pickled, use only tomatoes that are sound, no signs of blight or other disease.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 18:32 »
Great resources Subversive and a lot to think about. I’ve started grubbing up my allotment Stupice, Costolutto Genovese, estate and Dr Carolyn, they all got blight but it was late enough for me to enjoy a decent crop. The tomatoes in my back yard ( same variety) have so far escaped. I think there’s less density of disease there as not surrounded by other tomato growers.

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 09:33 »
I have had success with Koralik cherry tomatoes.  I didn't grow them this year (no room) but when I have they held off the blight for a long time before succumbing, when there was a lot about.
We have been very lucky this year, no sign of blight at all thus far.

Fisherman

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 17:48 »
Back in March I sowed 3 types of tomatoes 2 of which were for the greenhouse which were Shirley F1 and Country Taste and 1 for outside, Lizzano F1. The Lizzano F1 is said to be Blight tolerant. I had 2 spare Shirley plants and 1 spare Country Taste plant which I planted outside at the same time as the 3 Lizzano F1 plants. The Shirley and Country Taste plants grew well in the warm June weather and had good sized tomatoes on them, however they were devastated with Blight in July. The Lizzano plants grew on well and have cropped well, I'm guessing 20 - 25lb of tomatoes from 3 plants and still producing. I wont be growing none blight resistant tomatoes outside again as up here in the North West it's a waste of time. The greenhouse tomatoes did well.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 19:16 »
The crimson range are all good. They were developed to resist the UK strains of late blight. If you want a crop outside in the uk you definitely need to start them inside before the last frost, say 8 weeks. It's unfortunate but is what it is for our latitudes.

I'd be wary of US blight resistant tomatoes, they have different types of late blight than we do. German blight resistant/tolerant varieties are good though, there's quite a lot of them too

Instead grow the  amazing US heirlooms under cover if you can , I can't be doing without cherokee purple for example.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2023, 08:28 »
I've got Sakura toms in the greenhouse and had no sign of blight or any other disease. My tubs of Foremost potatoes outside didn't have any blight either. Quite surprised really.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

wolveryeti

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 01:53 »
I rate the Crimson family - they do what they say on the tin.

Mountain Magic is a fantastic cultivar - very good size, taste and resistsnce.

In past years the issue was lack of diversity but this year I tried Rose Crush (beefsteak) and Nagina (Roma type) and got good crops off of both.

I am an outdoor grower in the SE (Oxford) and don't bother growing non blight resistant types.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2023, 20:31 »
Crimson Crush and Apero F1 grown this year. No blight.

6th year of growing Crimson Crush on a 'blighty' allotment, with no problems.

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2023, 06:00 »
Thanks for all these suggestions. I woke up early this morning so have used the time for some seed shopping!
My earlier concerns for my tomatoes were premature, both Crimson Crush and Crimson Blush are still producing very well and unaffected by blight as yet, despite ideal conditions for it. My koralik tomathave succumbed though - I don’t think I’ll use these again.

xx
blight resistant tomatoes

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 23:49
by cooperman
xx
Blight resistant tomatoes

Started by slurp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 19:42
by Lardman
xx
help with blight resistant tomatoes

Started by manna on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 18:38
by manna
xx
T&M Blight Resistant Tomatoes - Mountain Magic

Started by Mr Dog on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2016, 16:41
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 46 queries.