Leek Bleu Solaise.

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Leek Bleu Solaise.
« on: August 30, 2023, 08:50 »
I had some double cream to use up in the fridge so I dug up two quite large Bleu Solaise leeks to cook down the add the cream at the end. Oh WOW! They are supposed to be tasty and they certainly were. Just a question about leek growth. I also have some Tornado leeks but they're a bit behind. As the season progresses do leeks continue getting fatter or taller or both?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Leek Bleu Solaise.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 11:16 »
Mostly they get fatter, they're a winter vegetable, so that's when they're at their most productive
(as long as leek moth, or miner, don't get them  :ohmy: )

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 12:46 »
Yeah, blue de solaise are a winter variety, they will grow again in march and April too if you haven't eaten them by then. I've got a bunch in the ground at the moment.

Your tornado leeks are autumn leeks, they tend to be lighter green and taller but aren't as hardy. My autumn leeks aren't as fat as the blue de solais but  there's a longer shank so hopefully more useable leek. I've not pulled any out yet though

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 18:02 »
Bleu de Solaise is my favourite leek to grow.   Aside from tasting lovely it is extremely hardy and puts up with whatever weather we have in winter.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 07:31 »
Winter leeks are one of the best veg available around then, they don't muck around, and while, like MUm, we don't get leek moth, we somethimes get some mildew, but only above ground!

Our first lot hit the buffers when the dog got in there, and sat/dug/muddled the whole lot, so I had to resort to some from our GC, but they're looking OK at present, especially as they have a Stalag Luft III fence around them, with towers at each corner, and a bloke with a helmet like a coal scuttle standing by the gate every time she goes out...

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 09:47 »
I was too late planting seed so the transplants all died in the warm weather. No leeks this year.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 11:16 »
Might help GG if you give them a bit of protection now the weather is on the turn just to aide them in the form of a cloche or even just some fleece but watch out they still get plenty of air to prevent mildew etc in there.
As an aside, I noticed yesterday when walking around oyr allotment site how many leeks are now affected by allium minor/thrip/ moth on what were lovely looking leeks before my holiday as they weren’t under mesh :(
Mine are so I’m hoping they’re ok when I check but mine are very small this year :(:(
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 14:55 »
I was too late plantings seed so the transplants all died in the warm weather. No leeks this year.

I planted mine out just before going on holiday. Of 60 plants just 5 remained when we got home, despite them being covered to protect from birds pulling them out of their planting holes. Something also had most of my main crop onions this year too.

xx
Tondo di Piacenza Courgette,Collective Farm Woman Melon,Bleu de Solaise leek

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 09:14
by little sweetpeas
xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
Leek & Little One

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 23:03
by compostqueen
xx
I need help with a Leek

Started by Trevorfm on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2017, 13:29
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 38 queries.