Mistletoe

• 2 Replies

jezza

Mistletoe
« on: December 14, 2013, 00:36 »
hi i have three crab apple trees with mistletoe growing in them does any one know how much should be cut each year ,mistletoe is 7 year 5 year and 2 years old all been sown have tried mistletoe growers association their web site is locked jezza

Chrysalis

Re: Mistletoe
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 20:09 »
When we had mistletoe on our apple tree (many years ago), we cut enough for ourselves - a couple of good sprays and a few bits and left it to get on with it for next year.  We also supplied my sister and  a few other families.  I think it can take quite a beating, as it's a parasitic plant.  It will find it's way!  Just don't tear it off the tree and in doing so, pull out it's umbilical cord.  ;)  I wish we had some now.... lucky you!

Mrs Bee

Re: Mistletoe
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 20:30 »
There is very little useful information about how much to cut. I have been looking myself as my bushes are big enough to give me some with berries. Even the RHS web site didn't say.

However I think they are persistent plants once they get established so I am going to cut enough for myself and friends this year. I am going to experiment too and cut some right back to the bark of the tree and see if they grow back.

With most plants in my garden I give a hard prune to the evergreens and everything else to be honest and it grows back twice as strong and bushy.

xx
mistletoe

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 19:16
by Mrs Bee
xx
Mistletoe

Started by evie2 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post December 10, 2012, 20:58
by Madame Cholet
xx
Mistletoe

Started by FRUITFULL on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 16:51
by FRUITFULL
xx
mistletoe plant

Started by big green bloke on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 07:12
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 28 queries.