• 23 Replies

new_2_veg

Second plot!
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:42 »
just taken on a second plot,

managed to get the one next to mine

will get pics soon but all i can say and think at the min is

here we go again!
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:02 »
i have two plots now as well one i have had about 6months and the second bout 2 months, still trying to get it all under control but it is slowly getting there, i have some crazy/grand schemes for the various plots. some of which have been started and some are still in the planning stages.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Second plot!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:39 »
8)  I've got 2 plots side by side, it takes some work but I'm slowly getting the upper hand, problem is I'm the only plot holder on a row of 10 or so and I keep thinking it's a real shame none are used, don't know if I dare even think about taking anymore on   :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

compostqueen

Second plot!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:45 »
I've done just that, taken on the scruffy plot next to mine but someone has now come along and wants to do it so I've let him have it.  I've not even finished my own so doubt that I could have done it justice.

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 12:45 »
me and a friend of mine who has the plot next to my second one are having a go at growing wheat on a small scale this year, and we have been thinking about expanding onto a joint 3rd plot but this would only be if we are allowed to keep goats on it, which we might be allowed to do. but i will wait a year before then as i still have to get the first two under control but its getting there.

compostqueen

Second plot!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 12:48 »
Wheat is a good idea as you can sell it if you get a good crop. That's if you don't want to use it all yourself

Goats are * at escaping though and you'd be in deep doo doo if they ate your neighbours veg  :D

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 13:02 »
the hardest part of it was getting hold of the wheat, as most companies only deal on mass quantitys and we only wanted a little bit, we got a 25kg bag for £6, the plan is to grow a couple of 10m x 7.5m beds of it, the variety is called einstien which isnt totally ideal for bred making i had hoped to get hold of hereward but beggars cant be choosers, i will basically build a net cage over one bed to protect against the birds and hopefully should get enough grain to make flour to make bread (though if there is some left over beer maybe) which should hopefully keep me in sandwhichs for work all year,

as for the goats if we do go ahead for it i will probably do my usual thing of over engineering their enclosure. the inital idea at them moment is to sink a series of post into the ground and cement inplace about 2ft down, then run a 6ft high chicken wire fence around the posts, the grow a series of hedge plants like elderberrys, blackthorn, hazel (to coppice for bean pole maybe?) brambles etc, hopefully they will spend all their time eating this hedge rather than escaping to eat nehibours veg.  but it will be dependnant on getting permission and wont start till probaly this time next year at the earliest.

Minty

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 13:07 »
We've only had our plot a few month's and we are already eyeing up a triple plot opposite that might become vacant next year,mind you it is mainly covered in fruit tree's and bushes.

We've got one bloke on our site who works 8 plot's and he's got to be in his mid 70's and there's another guy who has 6 plot's on our site and a couple more on another site in Leicester :shock:

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 13:37 »
our plot rep has three, and another chap has 6, but i couldnt posisbly eat that much fruit and veg so unless i can keep livestock on it i shoudnt need that much space.

Bobbeh

Second plot!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 13:49 »
No wonder there's a shortage of plots. :D

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 14:08 »
nah on our site their are quite a few going free currently, but on other sites their are 10yr+ waiting lists.

ceri green

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 16:02 »
i thought that the kind of wheat suitable for bread making wouldn't grow in this country?

i wish you luck though and will watch your progress with interest!

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Second plot!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 16:05 »
bah nonsense of course you can grow wheat for bread in the uk, there are generally two types spring wheat and winter wheat, its the winter wheat i am intrested in and there are plently of cultivars suitable for bread production. i think spring wheat tends to be grown extensively in canada though.

woodburner

Second plot!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 16:41 »
p00rstudent how are you going to mill it?

I seriously considered growing wheat on half of my two ;) plots, but decided to grow alfalfa instead as it's higher in protein, perennial (so I can get more than one harvest), is good for the soil, has yummy shoots in spring, and any surplus can be used for mulch or compost. Plus the problem of drying wheat for storage.

A common allotment rule is that produce not be sold, so that would rule that option out.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

allotmentvegigirl

Second plot!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 18:47 »
I find this topic very very interesting!  You hear in the press that growing your own has become very popular again and the demand for plots have increased ten fold.  Last night here in the South West a programme was aired regarding this very topic. A local radio DJ was saying there is a 200+ waiting list on his 157 plot site.  But yet when I drive past this site (one of the largest in the area) half the plots are overgrown.  What is the council doing??  I took on a half plot at the start of the year and have been very lucky having just taking over the other half.  It's amazing how fast you run out of space :shock: I sit here and think - what could I do with more land!!!!!  :wink:

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
New Plot

Started by fred-quimby on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 00:28
by morbidia
xx
My First Plot

Started by KalisDad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2022, 20:21
by KalisDad

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 28 queries.