My First Plot

• 7 Replies

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
My First Plot
« on: June 24, 2022, 14:08 »
I finally got my first plot in our local community garden this morning  :) (in addition to my garden) and I'm wondering what I can start on it so late on, It currently has potatoes, onions and sweetcorn growing on it but there is lots of space left, we have already weeded it (thanks to the Thursday night gentlemans club including me who keep vacant plots weed free) I need to plan for something quick but also do I plan something for winter or over winter now, any advice on what to start from scatch is welcome  :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 14:09 by KalisDad »
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: My First Plot
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 14:26 »
You can still buy plug plants of different kinds of cabbage and kale in garden centres, plus some early purple sprouting broccoli for a spring crop. (make sure you can plant it somewhere that won't interfere with your crop rotation plans for next year, though.)
You can also sow Chard, spinach, Autumn Giant for winter carrots, French beans, Salad - lettuce or mixed salad seed, spring onions and beetroot
Good luck

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 14:56 »
You might be able to try one of the types of courgettes (we call them summer squash) that have a very short growing season.  Baby round zucchini (or ‘Ronde de Nice’) is only 45 days to harvest (just one example).

My growing season is long here, but I might try something like this half-way through August to see if I can grow them AFTER our dreaded squash vine borers are gone for the year.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 16:07 »
Thank you MoS and SP, really want to give this a go and make it produtive while being organic, Likes to both of your suggestions
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 16:08 by KalisDad »

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 18:23 »
ordered Ronde de Nice, swiss chard and autumn giant and some dwarf french beans, sowed cauliflower all year round, cabbage greyhound and savoy to try and get a winter crop (hopefully) on a side note our site is organic but seeing the amount of plastic and stones in the compost from the local council is scary, so the riddle is going to be out, for the soil thats there and anything going in, I wondered why people were saying that carrots are never a success here, I think I know why after day 1 on my plot but Kali's Mum and I are hooked after day 1, the good thing is after growing at home for a few years we know not everything we try will work out, but we'll keep going anyway. on another side note the local food bank garden (managed and grown by us) is doing really well and after 27 odd years of isolating myself from everyone I'm now looking forward to a bright future where I can make a difference and speak to people with the same interests as me, Why did I wait so long? I skipped the queue for the plot by going every thursday night after working 11 hours to help people struggling to keep their own plots free of weeds ect. Karma can be wonderful  :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 18:39 by KalisDad »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 18:40 »
Best of luck with everything!

I find that the gardening I do when it is not expected to succeed (late season, or winter) is the most rewarding of all.  It's quite satisfying to have someone note the February spinach salad you are eating at work, and telling them "thank you, I grew it myself".

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 20:19 »
Like :)

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 20:21 »
I've resown my courgette for my home as they have done nothing and started some rooted cuttings of Isabella basil this evening

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
5 ROD Plot

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 23:55
by suziet88
xx
Here it is - the new plot!!!!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 16:08
by kezlou

Page created in 0.824 seconds with 46 queries.