Dog knocked the incubator over, cracked eggs :(

• 17 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Dog knocked the incubator over, cracked eggs :(
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:56 »
We went to a funeral on monday and left the dog in the house. He seems to have taken an interest in the incubator whilst we were gone and pushed it off the chair it was on. Some of the eggs are cracked. Do you think I should put them back in if they are not leaking? Ive read you can mend them with candle wax. Should I leave them out to reduce the bacteria?

Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Dog knocked the incubator over, cracked eggs :(
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:29 »
I would remove them, even if they do survive you don't know if it will affect their development.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:08 »
Do you think even if they are not cracked they could have been damaged inside? Day 18 is today so i'll know by sunday what the outcome is. The ones that were cracked and leaking ive taken out but there is about 5 that were cracked and it looked like the membrane is intact still. I still have about 20 eggs in there that havent cracked but I think I remember reading something about them becoming detached from the air sac if shaken.

Thanks

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:45 »
You are that close to hatch you are probably best to wait and see.  They might have done most of their developing so you might be lucky.  Good luck with the hatch.   :)

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:58 »
Thanks. The humidity has gone upto 70% with no dish of water so maybe its just the hatch bringing up the humdity or maybe its a cracked egg. Its difficult to tell. Im going to add a dish of water today and they will be due to hatch sunday. Its a bit annoying as I gave away the cockerel who I used to fertilise the eggs on the day I started the hatch. The cockerel was a silver laced orpington with a bit of salmon fevorelle mixed in and the hens were rhodies so I was looking forward to seeing the outcome. Hopefully some good looking, strong layers  :D

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:50 »
Just wondering how things are going? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10 »
Strangely its been a very good hatch. 13 chicks so far and more hatching still

These lot are bantams so they are tiny. I told myself I wouldnt ever bother with bantams but swapped some eggs with another local breeder and have had good results with them. If anyone would like the sellers name on ebay for these eggs PM me and I shall let you know. I have been very impressed with the fertility so far.

I would like to sell some day old chicks as now I have too many. Can anyone recommend a site that allows you to sell day old chicks? Most sites have a rule where you are unable to sell any living thing under 8 weeks old. For example preloved rejects my advert for day old chicks but allows me to sell hatching eggs and POL's.

Thanks

pepsi100

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 10:38 »
well, its a nice hatch, I used to have bantams, nice enough birds, but they never really stood up to the bigger birds, but the grand daughter liked them

I had some frizzels, and they were scared of their own shadows, never laid an egg, I dont think they knew how

I went to tje South Essex Auctions, there was plenty of interest in chicks there, so maybe its worth thinking of taking them there (next one is in June, so it wil give em a chance to grow up a bit and to find out what you got)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:40 »
I think I have seen day olds on birdtrader which is free advertising.

Glad your chicks are doing well and not just because I am looking forward to plenty of chick growing up pictures.   ::) :lol:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 13:47 by ANHBUC »

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 13:41 »
Thanks for the replies. I shall check out birdtrader if not it looks like I might have to travel to one of these shows/markets. Do you think I could sell them at a car boot sale? I have a feeling it will be frowned upon.

I'll be sure to take plenty of piccys. I need to take some updated pics of my flock so shall do that in the next couple of days and post them up  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 13:50 »
They might need some sort of a licence so you would have to ring the organiser to find out if it is allowed. 

I would not sell like that though as you could get children talking their parents in to buying cute fluffy chicks and having no idea of how to care for them.   :(

pepsi100

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 13:54 »
I'll be at the South Essex auctions in June, so see you there if you do go along, as far as I know you could sell chicks at a boot sale, I have seen puppies and moggies sold rthere only problem is you dont know who is buying them or where they end up,

What about an ad in your food supliers place, I have sold a couple at mine (All the ads were for WANTED, so they went pretty quick)

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 10:17 »
More in the incubator this morning, so the total is 16 now. I only wanted 4 or 5 hens from this lot lol She gave me 19 eggs and some I took out as they cracked so im convinced almost everyone of them left was fertile. Incubator was a still air incubator if anyones wondering.

Ive put a notice on the village notice board and just hoping someone spots it and wants them. Ive priced them at £4 each which I think is reasonable.

pepsi100

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 10:40 »

Ive put a notice on the village notice board and just hoping someone spots it and wants them. Ive priced them at £4 each which I think is reasonable.

Yes, very much so, considering that most chicks I have seen are a bit more, I think its a fair price  :)

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 20:31 »
In that case I shall have to up my game :) I do know the car boot organiser so I shall give him a ring and check but I do feel a little mean if I were to sell them there. Chicken burgers, yes! but not chickens lol Im only saying that as im yet to see some for sale at a boot sale. Ive had no calls today about the chicks so does that mean I have to put up a new advert tomorrow saying 2 day old chicks for sale? hehe ::)

I dated the advert so people should be able to work it out. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 22:14 by ANHBUC »

xx
Cracked Eggs

Started by Flossie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 20:52
by grenhouse
xx
cracked eggs

Started by mesiamanblue on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 08:16
by joyfull
xx
four day old eggs in incubator

Started by littlefeat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 11:41
by littlefeat
xx
Eggs in incubator....

Started by symonep on The Hen House

113 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 21:56
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 28 queries.