What the hell is this ???

• 10 Replies

cbv8

What the hell is this ???
« on: April 30, 2013, 13:10 »
Hi All,
When i checked my girls today i found the THING in the picture  :ohmy: in the nesting box could anyone please tell me what it is  ???  there was something like this in the run a few weeks ago but they ate it before i could remove it any help or advice very much appreciated ;)
sunset 012.jpg
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 14:51 by mumofstig »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: What the hell is this ???
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 13:45 »
I think it is a lash, usually they pass them when they are getting to the end of laying.  More information on another post HERE
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 15:05 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

cbv8

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 14:43 »
I think it is a lash, usually they pass them when they are getting to the end of laying.  More information on another post HERE
Thank you for that info much appreciated  ;) i have only had my hens since last oct think i was sold oaps  :mad: i think i will ask for my money back or younger ones what do you think  ??? surely they should lay eggs a lot longer than 6 months???

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 14:54 »
It would depend on how they were advertised/described when you bought them.  If they have put laying hens it would be up to you to enquire about their ages.   :(

I think I have read that they can also be caused by infection but don't know if the infection would be as a result of the lash!  Best to find out more information before you accuse the breeder of selling you old birds.  ;)

cbv8

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 15:02 »
Hi My daughter bought them for me last Oct from a farm where she and i now work so its a bit difficult without upsetting anyone :( The thing is me and my family have grown quite fond of our hens but i would have liked them to last a long time ie years not months i was told that Lohmanns (which mine are) are egg laying machines so only last around three or four years. I deally i would have wanted egg layers friendly hardy and long lasting what do you recommend as i may try introducing other hens incase the enevitable happens sooner than later :(  :(

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 15:10 »
I went for genuine Black Rocks as they are very hardy and live longer.  They are beautiful birds, black with a blue/green sheen in the sunlight.  I think some members have said they have had ones that lived for 8 years.

I got 2 Bovan Goldlines at the same time and have had to dispatch one (2yrs 9mths old) and the others egg shell quality has gone downhill recently.  As you say egg laying machines!

cbv8

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 15:41 »
Thanks again for the info i do like black rocks and tried to introduce one into the flock a couple of times but they kept attacking her >:( I felt sorry for her as she only had one eye but was very friendly i may try to introduce several and watch the feathers fly  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 20:48 »
It is always easier to introduce more than one as they have more to try and peck!   ::) 

If you do go for Black Rocks I would recommend the genuine ones so that you know you are getting good stock.  They have authorised agents throughout the u.k. HERE is the map with details.  You may have to wait for stock but I think it is well worth it.   ;)

cbv8

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 21:07 »
Thanks again your a star  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 20:45 »
a simple way to check if you have been sold old hens is to check their legs - are they slender of thick set? Generally they get thicker the older the bird  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

cbv8

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 19:36 »
a simple way to check if you have been sold old hens is to check their legs - are they slender of thick set? Generally they get thicker the older the bird  :)
Yeah i noticed that with my wife lol  ;)

xx
More Red mite hell!

Started by jackiem on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 08:36
by Ma Lowe
xx
New chicken hell!

Started by Gerty333 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 12:58
by helens-hens
xx
Red mite hell!

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 10:15
by alancane
xx
Dreaded Red Mite Hell

Started by HAPPYCHICKENHOME on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 12:45
by HAPPYCHICKENHOME

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 31 queries.