Ex. batts advice please.

• 5 Replies

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
Ex. batts advice please.
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:53 »
I got my 3 girls from BHWT recently and obviously they had only been on mash so I've kept them on that but have given them a few treats as well, greens, left overs and some disgusting looking worm things (the name escapes me right now). Anyway my question is how much should I feed them or do they regulate their food intake themselves? I don't want obese chickens you know. ;)
They have access to their mash and water all day and I'm putting some pellets out too as I'd like to move them onto them in the future but they seem to eat an awful lot at the moment. Actually they drink a lot more than I'd realised as well I will need a much bigger water feeder which is on order now.
My main worry is the foxes who have appeared from nowhere, I can't leave the dogs out all day & night in the pouring rain so I have to trust that the coop which was sold as fox proof is indeed such.  :unsure:
The chickens are great if not a bit bolshie and they keep pecking me every time I go near them. One in particular is a real stroppy madam and even changing the food and water is seen as a threat by her. I'm quite amazed at how aggressive she is! Do you think she/they will calm down once they gets to know us? My boys (human & dog) are all terrified of her! :)
I think she's great though and have named her Florence. The other two are maybe Nina and Dolly but I can't really tell that pair apart as yet as they have exactly the same bald bits and I'm still trying to spot the differences. :) I can watch them for ages but I shouldn't as I'm supposed to be gardening and fixing fences etc.  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Ex. batts advice please.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 12:22 »
Make sure they have their layers feed and water all the time and then just give them their treats about an hour before bed time - mine have either mixed corn, tinned sweetcorn (rinsed with no salt or sugar added) or meal worms and sunflower hearts but only a small amount each. With Florence you could try feeding her the treats from your hand - she will soon calm down  :).
Oh and welcome to the site  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:26 »
Your girls will settle down in time. They have had to fight for all the food and water and they wil continue to do so for a while but soon they will be following you around and be more friendly. I would get them onto pellets and wean them of the mash. Mash is just the same as pellets only crushed up.
 Have they got grit and oyster shell they need both of these. Because they have no teeth the grit grinds down the food and the oyster shell will help wih hardening the egg shells.
As soon as you get chickens the foxes find out about it, to keep the chickens safe they will probably need to be kept in a run. Make sure that you have a fox proof mesh and that the fox cannot dig underneath.

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:58 »
Okay thanks peeps.
Will try Florence and the others with hand feeding treats etc but I'm quite sure she'll just attack me!
Yes they have grit and oyster shell do you guys mix this in with their food or sprinkle it around? I've just thrown some around the run along with a few meal worms.
We are going to let them out the run to explore the garden occassionally when they are supervised but due to daft dogs and foxes will have keep a very close eye on them. This will have to wait until the dogs are used to them though.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 13:08 »
The grit and oystershell should be available in separate containers.  If kept near the food, the hens will help themselves to it naturally as they need it.

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 16:42 »
I'll get some more small attachable feeders I think.
I've just been watching them for a bit and they seem to get along fine but Florence does randomly peck at the others for no aparent reason, she's going to be a handful that one. :) 
One we've now called Dolly is much noisier than the other two, she makes a lot of noise whilst eating too. :)
The third Nina appears to be the easy going one and actually let my son pet her, she was sort of feeling him with her beak, not pecking him just touching his hand all over, I think he's smitten! :) 
She looks the sorriest sight though, she's bald around her neck, down her back and up her front, I'm glad it's summer as she would definately feel the cold if it was the middle of winter. Hopefully their feathers will be in by the time it is winter. Florence looks great she's only got a bald bit up her front and Dolly is a bit like Nina with lots of bald bits around her neck and back. Their feet are in good condition, their eyes are bright and they look like they are enjoying their new home. We definately appreciate the eggs, wish I'd done this years ago.

xx
ex batts advice - help!

Started by Eleababe on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 15:07
by Roll Roll
xx
Ex-batts vs Partridge chickens...advice please

Started by Carla on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 18:07
by joyfull
xx
Might be getting our ex-batts soon!

Started by beki on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 22:25
by hazelize_uk
xx
getting ex batts

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 11:06
by mtoyne

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 30 queries.