Newbie after advice & just to HI

• 7 Replies

Chicken Dinner

Newbie after advice & just to HI
« on: September 01, 2009, 18:40 »
Hi
Just thougtht i would say hello, i have just registered.

I am just completing my Chicken coup and run, the coupe is 1.2 x1.2m plus 3 nest boxes rear mounted,it is 350mm above the ground. It is constructed of treated softwood , the floor is 12mm WBP plywood and it is clad in 25mm Western red cedar, it has a pitched roof and the roof is also cedar it stands 1.3m high.
The run is 1.8 x 1.2 m and attaches to the end of the coupe, this is made from treated softwood and enclosed in a galvanised mesh.
The ground area including under the coup is 1.2 x  2.8m.

I am looking at getting  some hybrid at POL and Light Sussex about 11 weeks old could you please advise on the coup, run & breeds, as i would not like to use any wrong timber etc. Also the  amount of chickens. I would rather have one less for the space than one to many. Both my wife and i workk and a fox patrols through our garden, so the chickens will only come out when we are there.

Chicken Dinner

Re: Newbie after advice & just to HI
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 19:11 »
Hi

I have just read back my previous posting. I would like to clarify the when we are both at work the chickens will be able to get in the run, it is just free range of the Garden when we are there to supervise.

Just like when the kids were small.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 19:38 »
1.2*2.8=3.36 square meters.  I would suggest that if you can make your run bigger.  I personally would go for twice the size. I you can not go bigger then I would go for bantams and 3 of them.   You will need a roof on your run so as to stop your run turning to mud bath.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

nzdunn

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 20:10 »
not an expert on runs and coups but just wanted to say welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing piccys, it the rule on this forum, piccys :D   nickyx

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 21:43 »
welcome to the forum! :D :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 22:45 »
Hi & welcome. You will need to dig the wire of your run down into the ground so the foxes don't dig under it, and they are good climbers, you will def need a roof on your run.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 14:30 »
did I not say hello how rude. of me  :ohmy:

welcome

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 16:11 »
Hello CD.

Build the run as big as you can, the more room they've got the better.  Ours is about 20 m2 with 8 hens, and I wouldn't want it any smaller.

Initially we only put a mesh roof over because I liked the open air feel and the trees swishing etc etc, then it all turned to mush and slutch, and cleaning out a coop in the wet isn't good......all the wood shavings stick to you, I found out.

So OH and me have just spent the holiday weekend putting on a solid roof. Corregated opaque plastic type thing.  Doesn't look quite so nice, but it's definately nicer in the run now.  Girls had given up the dust baths (they would have needed a snorkle), but have now resumed.  There is something very satisfying about being out in the open air with the pouring rain, but keeping dry.

Good luck :lol:

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by newbie chick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 10:08
by andreadon
xx
newbie advice please

Started by me4243 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 13:59
by stan deakin
xx
Newbie needs advice

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 21:37
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 37 queries.