My Ross Cobb dosent seem well - can i still cull and eat?

• 2 Replies

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
I got 6 Ross Cobbs 2 weeks ago at 7 weeks old and i have dispatched two of them alreadyas the couldnt walk.
The first one i culled within a few days as one of its legs was crippled and it couldnt stand although it seemed fine as it would eat. This was the first time i had culled , plucked and gutted a chicken for the table.
I broke its neck < i made a pigs ear of it as its head came off i pulled to hard as i wanted to make sure > started plucking straight away the feathers came out easily but i struggled with the wings and left some of them. I then removed the feet and head then gutted the bird which i did well.
I then decided to skin the chicken as i couldnt budge a lot of the feathers i have seen this done on tv and it is so easy and saves time plucking and is a good idea if you dont want to use the skin.
It is now in my freezer, the next one was a week after i bought them.
It went off its legs but the bird didnt look well at all so i just killed it then hung it for a day then decided to bin it as i didnt want to eat a chicken that seemed ill. I dont know if i could of eaten it but i thought to be on the safe side i wouldnt.
I have another one that has gone off its legs the last few days. I found it in a crouched position not wanting to do a lot although it would feed.
Am i being to coutious in thinking if i should eat them or not?
These Ross Cobbs would of been culled by now if they were at the broiler farm but the ones i have i wouldnt say are to big or anything to go off their legs like that. I dont think i will get these again ! thought it was worth a go to see what they are like.

Bodger

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 11:51 »
You should be fine. Its a design fault rather than a disease. It should be to mans shame that the poor things have quite literally been designed to eat and eat until they go off their legs.

pushrod

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 20:00 »
Although the birds don't look too big compared to other adult birds remember that at 8 weeks most ordinary types will probs have the body size of an of an orange. I had a different type of broiler and culled one a bit early because of leg problems - certainly didn't affect the taste. TBH i think i have been tempted to let them live too long as they do get a bit tougher the longer you leave them.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

xx
ross/cobb chickens

Started by newbi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 00:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Ross cobb cockerels

Started by sheridal on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 12:41
by Casey76
xx
plucking, drawing and cooking ross cobb poultry

Started by Mary Clark on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 09:52
by hookfarmchickens
xx
hen thats dosent lay

Started by leared on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 14:08
by Jane-M

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 36 queries.