Winter lighting on the allotment
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 00:31 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
you can get a small generator from b&q for £50 or so :wink:

Yeah, i was wondering how loud they are though   :?:

muntjac

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 00:33 »
mines very quiet . i use it on scout camps ,have a microwave and a halogen lamp running from it ,also boils kettle for a nice cup tea  :wink:
still alive /............

mushroom

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 00:35 »
looking @ b&q website now... cheers many thanks everyone for their tips  :D

mushroom

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 07:57 »
Munty are you sure it was b&q? Or maybe a "shop special" that wouldn't neccesarily make it to the website? Been checking on their website, can find nothing under "generator" and no generating products under "petrol".

brucesgirl

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 08:26 »
Mushroom, I will have the same problem. We leave for work in the dark and get home in the dark during the winter. We have very old parents who live miles away and need looking to at the weekends. So we are resigned to just going to the plot on the odd weekend day to tidy up, and to take some veg back for the week.
As we cleared the whole plot this year in one month, we reckon we will be able to get on top of things again once the spring arrives.

mushroom

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 08:45 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
Mushroom, I will have the same problem. We leave for work in the dark and get home in the dark during the winter. We have very old parents who live miles away and need looking to at the weekends. So we are resigned to just going to the plot on the odd weekend day to tidy up, and to take some veg back for the week.

I've seen a couple of nifty ideas. The first one is the storm lamp that WG pointed out to me. I really like the brass one. This one i'd like to use for lighting the inside of the shed. It would also be a rather efficient heater of an 8x6 shed.

The other one I'm looking at, I'll buy today. it's one of those 5 million candlepower large halogens. It has a plastic housing and rechargable battery. Dunno what the battery life is, but it doesn't have to last an age, not for me anyhow. If it can do 4-5 hrs on one charge then it would work for me. These ones usually have a clip, I'd clip it to the apex of the shed to light the plot area. They sell em in homebase. Actually, I think I'll get both :D

Quote from: "brucesgirl"

As we cleared the whole plot this year in one month, we reckon we will be able to get on top of things again once the spring arrives.

It took me 2 weeks solid work to clear 2/3rds of the plot. But for me, the actual growing/gardening/weeding isn't the sole issue. As well as for reasons explained earlier in the thread, I'm uncomfortable with leaving the plot for days on end because days turn into weeks then months, and also a rarely used or worked plot, even if rarely used for say one or two months, encourages the casual vandal or thief.

muntjac

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 11:44 »
apologies its focus  not BnQ but they had one  £4 cheaper a couple weeks later mine is a NUTOOL GASOLINE GENERATOR  :wink:

Trillium

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 15:16 »
We go through the same thing here, Mushroom. Day and night shifts, sometimes 8 hour shifts, sometimes 10 hour shifts, all of which demand an extra hour on site on top of the hours. Days off are all over the place so it's impossible to plan outings in advance because it can change the day before if someone is sick, on vacation, on training, etc. And there's a lot of grumbling after waking up from night shift along with floppy stomachs. After the week of night shift, the next day is spent catching up on missed sleep. It's very rough but jobs here are few and far between so you take what you can get. Hope you can get it worked out on the plot.

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 16:43 »
Do you not grow any carrots?!!

mushroom

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 22:33 »
Quote from: "si-mate"
Do you not grow any carrots?!!

:lol:

shaun

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 23:15 »
you could hire one of these  :wink:

http://www.floodlightuk.com/tower_lights.php
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
greenhouse lighting

Started by agapanthus on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 12:56
by agapanthus
xx
Lighting a Vitapod propagator

Started by Robster on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post January 14, 2014, 18:39
by Eblana
xx
Help lighting a greenhouse heater

Started by Elcie on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 16:18
by sean moore
xx
Indoor lighting for Chilli & Pepper seedlings

Started by Bodmass on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 12, 2014, 17:25
by Bodmass

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 30 queries.