Chickens with sneezes

• 7 Replies

andy and deb

Chickens with sneezes
« on: May 24, 2011, 19:48 »
Our Blue Star has not been out of the coop much today and has developed a sneeze... Help  :(

bantam novice

Re: Chickens with sneezes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 21:09 »
Hello Andy and Deb,

It sounds as if it could be a respiratory infection but it may be as well to check the "usual suspects".

Does she have a temperature? You can tell this by feeling under the wing of one of your other girls then under her wing to see if she feels warmer.

Little visitors - are there lice or redmite?  Has she been wormed recently?

Has she been poohing OK?

I am not an expert; however I understand that hens can get respiratory infections that will respond to anti-biotics so you will need to find a local chicken-friendly vet.

I am sure someone more exerienced will be along to advise you.  In the meantime good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 21:24 »
yes they need a visit to a vets for antibiotics. you need to get enough to treat all of your birds and also make sure you ask your vet how long the egg withdrawal period is.
Staffies are softer than you think.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 22:09 »
Obviously sneezing can be a sign off bad things going on and ensure you are on the lookout for other problems. Last week though 5 of my 6 were all sneezing with no other obvious symptoms. The next day I think I only heard 2 sneezes and I have heard none since and believe me I spend alot of time watching them. Please don't take this as there is nothing wrong with yours, I just know that last week I was really worried and it's nice to have a little hope that it's nothing serious. I do wonder if mine had a touch of hay fever.

andy and deb

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 23:04 »
Well we only got our hens on Saturday and they were living in a coop with wood shavings on the floor and we are using straw so it could be a cause , but I will check her temp tomorrow before I go to work and then take her to the vets tomorrow evening to be on the safe side , the other three don,t seem to be sneezing yet so I,m keeping my fingers crossed its only poor hetty , Thanks for the advice

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 23:25 »
Because the strands of straw are hollow they can harbour fungal spores etc so lots of people prefer hemcore or aubiose for bedding which is chopped up, dried hemp stems. They are very absorbent and have no dust. You can get bales for about £8-10 from horse feed places - and they last ages (mine last about 3-4 months for 4 hens).
Mine too had a few sneezes when they first came to me, I think it's a reaction to the stress of a new environment. Theirs cleared up itself without medication too. If they are all right in every other respect it might be worth hanging fire for a day or two.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 02:35 »
My Light Sussex had sneezing and a runny nose soon after I got her.  Hers got worse and soon she had a rattly chest so I took her to the vet.  He prescribed broad-spectrum andtibiotics and it worked wonders.

All my other girls have had the sneezes at various times and I have kept a close eye on them for worsening symptoms.  They have all recovered by themselves with no need for antibiotics.

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 08:12 »
one of mine was sneezing and then a rattle i put citricide in the water ,as id read about it and that seems to have worked
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

sad
Chicken with sneezes and wheezes...

Started by ajkula77 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 19:19
by drumcrow
thumbdown
Bald bottoms and sneezes

Started by Roll Roll on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 15:06
by Vember
xx
HELP!! My girls have the sneezes,any idea's what to do for them.

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 14:31
by Little jack
xx
My cockerel sneezes as he crows- problem?

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 18:57
by CluckyChicken

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 29 queries.