Chicken with sneezes and wheezes...

• 5 Replies

ajkula77

Chicken with sneezes and wheezes...
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:45 »
My elderly speckled sussex is feeling very sorry for herself, and sounds as though she has a chest infection/bad cold.  :tongue2: I've got her in under a heat lamp, but is there anything else I can give her? She's being fed rolled oats and mixed grain, scraps with vit supplements but not really eating.  What should i be feeding her? All the other chooks are fine.

Foxy

Re: Chicken with sneezes and wheezes...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:46 »
It sounds like your hen has an infection which which need antibiotics from the vet -ask for either Baytril or Tylan. In the meantime ACV  and crushed garlic in her drinking water might help a little. Check her house is nice and dry -perhaps sprinkle some stalosan F to banish any bugs that might bre lurking.
How old is she? I note you mention elderly? Probably in this weather her immune system has been a little subdued.

Good luck with her -sounds like you are are doing everything you possibly can -hmmmm I would quite like a heat lamp in this weather! :)

ScottBarton

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 16:29 »
Noticed one of my hens had a runny nose  and was sneezing couple of weeks ago. I read that Garlic was good so i crushed up two cloves and dropped it in the water. I also put a drop of concentrated Aloe Vera in as well.
I am pleased to say that her cold has all cleared up and the other 2 are not infected. Whether this is down to what i did with the water or it cleared up naturally i will never know....but i would like to think it was me that cured her!  8)

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 18:00 »
Noticed one of my hens had a runny nose  and was sneezing couple of weeks ago. I read that Garlic was good so i crushed up two cloves and dropped it in the water. I also put a drop of concentrated Aloe Vera in as well.
I am pleased to say that her cold has all cleared up and the other 2 are not infected. Whether this is down to what i did with the water or it cleared up naturally i will never know....but i would like to think it was me that cured her!  8)

sounds like good husbandry! :)

shiatsusu

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:11 »
3 of our 4 have now come down with the cold that started last week and while they don't have rattly chests they all have bubbles round their eyes and are huddled up and miserable. I took one to the vet and they prescribed baytril (thanks Sarah for your advice on that). If your girl is looking sorry for herself it's worth checking with the V.E.T. I'm also giving mine porridge in the morning, the oats are slow release carbs which should help keep them warm in this weather  :(

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 19:19 »
give her cider vinegar its a natural wormer and antibiotic. hope that helps a little :)
if you have chickens you have rats

xx
Chickens with sneezes

Started by andy and deb on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 08:12
by terri
xx
HELP!! My girls have the sneezes,any idea's what to do for them.

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 14:31
by Little jack
thumbdown
Bald bottoms and sneezes

Started by Roll Roll on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 15:06
by Vember
xx
Hungarian Cure for coughs and sneezes!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 11:26
by Missie

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 35 queries.