fed up with failures

• 23 Replies

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: fed up with failures
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 13:02 »

One thing I did find is that some potato varieties grown in soil with mushroom compost were a bit scabby -

Think i must have had that too with nadines variety but it was only on the skin and once peeled away it was a fine round looking spud ready to cook.

what about 6x fertilizer, is that any good?

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 19:11 »
The elder statesmen of the allotment world always shrug their shoulders and mutter something about veg growing always being trial and error.  After equal measures of both I have to agree so if things don't work out try try try again.

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 17:50 »
so would the elder statesmen advise to put on the saved chicken poo or garden centre compst/manure?  Would it make any difference or do I just need to get on  and get it on!!

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 08:25 »
depends on the condition of your soil. if your soil is sandy or just right and not too clay like then just add the chicken manure and leave over winter.

Fire2920

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 09:05 »
Adding hen poo and farm manure to our plot has made a difference to our crop this year, last year we used allot of dry manure pellets from the garden center but, this year used the smelly stuff and it's better.

We have not had half the pests in the garden either, greenfly,root fly even the slugs and caterpillars have not shown up in any great numbers, must be the weather or maybe the smell :D 
??? I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous... ???

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 09:49 »

One thing I did find is that some potato varieties grown in soil with mushroom compost were a bit scabby -

Think i must have had that too with nadines variety but it was only on the skin and once peeled away it was a fine round looking spud ready to cook.

what about 6x fertilizer, is that any good?

Mushroom compost has usually got a fair bit of lime in it and that will make spuds scabby.  6X or bagged farmyard manure or homemade compost is good stuff to dig in now to improve soil structure.

Chicken manure is a really strong source of nitrogen but that washes away over time so if you dig it in now, chances are the nutrients will all be gone by spring and it's too strong when fresh to use directly on plants.  Stack your supply and leave to weather over winter so it's not too strong , then add as fertiliser in the spring. Boost it with pelleted chicken manure if you don't have enough and your plot should improve loads  :)

paintedlady

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 04:23 »
We have not had half the pests in the garden either, greenfly,root fly even the slugs and caterpillars have not shown up in any great numbers, must be the weather 

don't forget the really cold winter we had - reduced the pest problem substantially  :D
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 15:22 »
the weather this year was not ideal, this may have affected your crops. its a bit of a lottery taking on new ground, so fortify it and see how it goes next year. Also make sure its not too compacted as i find roots struggle to get deep in harder ground and then the crop suffers. Good luck for 2011!

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47 »
We have not had half the pests in the garden either, greenfly,root fly even the slugs and caterpillars have not shown up in any great numbers, must be the weather or maybe the smell :D 

Speaking of fat slugs we have not had them either. think slugs like the damp areas, but becuase we had a lot of hot sun i think it keeps the slugs abay. more rain and warm weather then i reckon then they will be out and about.

smiley
Failures.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 21:16
by Will1983
xx
Carrot failures

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 17, 2023, 20:16
by Anton
xx
2018 abysmal failures

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post July 30, 2018, 15:25
by theothermarg
xx
List of failures getting worrying

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 23:00
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 29 queries.