Listless, yellow urates, floppy comb

• 10 Replies

helens-hens

Listless, yellow urates, floppy comb
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:28 »
One of my hens has not been very well for about 3 / 4 days. She is a bit reluctant to come out of the hen house in the mornings and not too interested in her food, the only thing she will really go for is corn on the cob. She is standing around a lot and sleeping quite a bit. She hadn't preened by the time I left this morning.

Over the last couple of days the white urates part of her poo has been a pale yellow and part of her comb is a bit floppy though still a good colour. She hasn't laid for a few months now. I can't feel any swelling in the abdomen and she walks normally. The hens were last wormed with Flubenvet about 7-8 weeks ago.

Over the past couple of months, I have found the odd lash in the hen house and occasionally these capsule type objects which are a reddish / brown colour, I sliced 1 open a month or so ago and it is a cream colour inside. I am not sure who hasd passed these but I think it could be this hen though it is only now she appears poorly.

I think it is time to fork out for the vets again  :mad: but just wondered if anybody had any ideas. Also has anone ever come across these weird capsule objects - they tend to vary in size from that of a small kidney bean to about double that and are either roundish or cylindrical in shape?

Thanks for any help or advice.
Helen

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Listless, yellow urates, floppy comb
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41 »
I don't have experience of this but there is a picture on here.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=46511.0

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54 »
Thanks for that ANHBUC, yes I have seen a couple of lashes that look like the picture though not sure which of the hens they came from (neither have layed now for about 4 months or so). They are literally a like pieces of chicken flesh....

These reddish brown capsules are not the same. They are almost like an egg in the sense they are vaguely cylindrical and self contained. They are the colour I described before i.e. reddish brown outside and a cream colour inside.

Hope all reading this have already had their breakfast!

kegs

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:36 »
Not sure about the capsules.  How old is your chicken and what breed?

kegs

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:43 »
Found this whilst checking capsules, and lashes can apparently come in all shapes, sizes and colours so maybe yours was a lash after all.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=46829.0;prev_next=prev

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 13:28 »
Hi Kegs, thanks for your input. no it doesn't really look like that either. I think I have a picture on my mobile phone, I may try and upload it later when back home.

These lash & capsule things have been happening for a while (few months) with no apparent ill effects but I must admit I am a bit worried about the droppings,lack of appetite etc.

Harriet is a hybrid, a Blackrock type though not one of the official Blackrocks (I think she is the same crossbreed). She was already laying when she came as part of a 'starter pack' from the Domestic Fowl Trust in April 2010 so I am hazarding a guess that she is about 3.

helens-hens

Re: UPDATED Listless, yellow urates, floppy comb
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:55 »
Just to let you know that she didn't make it  :(. I was quite concerned about her yesterday morning so took her to the vets in the afternoon. The vet wasn't sure what these strange 'capsules' were (I showed her a picture I had on my phone) but her best guess was that it was some sort of not fully formed and rotten egg.

They gave her a tube feed at the vets and prescribed ABs and an antiflammatory along with some Harrisons feed to try & build her up but I could see her going downhill later that day. I found her dead in the hen house this morning.

This the 1st hen I have lost and I can't believe how upsetting it is. Her second in command, Henrietta, is now wandering around looking a bit lost (I only had the 2 of them). What a start to the weekend  :(

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 12:35 »
 :(  So sorry she did not make it.  Sending hugs to you and Henrietta.

kegs

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 17:31 »
Sorry Helens-Hens.   :(

I think that 3 for a hybrid is quite a good age though.... and, maybe, making plans to get some friends for Henrietta will help take your mind off it.   ::)

helens-hens

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 20:20 »
ANHBUC & Kegs thanks very much for your replies & support.

Henrietta is looking a bit lonely - late this morning she had disappeared back into the hen house & when I looked she was on the perch looking around below roughly where Harriet was when she died.

They are flock animals & she needs some company so yes in about 2 weeks or so I will get her a new friend(s). Will send some picks through to the chicken chat area when I do  :)

Thanks again.

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 14:55 »
Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new girl/s and of course Henrietta.   :D

xx
Floppy comb

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 17:57
by mrs chook
xx
Floppy comb

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 20:51
by carolbriar
xx
Floppy Dark Comb

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 19:56
by LittleRedHen
xx
dirty vent and floppy comb!!

Started by Nat100 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 09:05
by Nat100

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 39 queries.