chewy jam!

• 7 Replies

Sue33

chewy jam!
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:47 »

mmmm, not sure if anyone will be able to help but thought I'd ask the question,

i have a jar of homemade jam which is more like toffee, well it was my first attempt  :tongue2:  now it's too hard to put on toast, so i'm just wondering if any of you lovely people know of any recipes that need blackberry tarmac  :(   or shall I just bin it  :blush:

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Re: chewy jam!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:51 »
Awwww, its still edible, all that has happened is that it was boiled for too long. It is worthwhile investing in a cooking thermometer if you intend to make more.

Sue33

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:57 »

it was pretty spur of the moment stuff, a guy at the allotment came over to us Sunday night and said help yourself to all the blackberries and before you know it we had tons of them!  So thought I'd have a go at jam, pretty basic recipe, half of sugar to the amount of fruit - simples  :)  Oh well, might have to put some jam-making equipment on the crimbo list - quite enjoyed myself making it although I was surpised i only got one jar out of the amount that was in the pan  :)

Debz

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 13:05 »
I have always used the same weight of sugar to fruit and only once had a problem with overboiling. 

Spana

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 13:20 »
Spoon some out into a cup or bowl , add a little hot water to soften it a bit , give it a stir and use as a sauce for ice cream.  Press it though a sieve if its hard to get smooth.   
I love over cooked jam on ice cream :lol:

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 18:32 »
what ive done in the past with mine was to warm it up nd add some brandy , i just did it with the cherry one i had i also blitsed it to chop the cherries up and it  looked more ammy you could try it with one jar see how it goes , if it dosent work for yours then tell people its a greek spoon sweet and serve a small ammount on a plate with a glass of water .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Poolfield2

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 20:45 »
The important thing is not to give up, try another batch but do remember to test to see if it will set every couple of minutes after the initial period of boiling. I'm having great success with the microve wave method but it only works for small quantities.

Sue33

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:22 »

thank you peeps  :) I'll give the ice cream sauce a go I think, really don't want to throw it away!

So, now i'm gonna give chutneys a go, i might be back for more advice  ;)  copied a few of Val's recipes from the site, looks like marrow chutney will be my first victim, popped to IKEA last night for some jars, pretty big though, i'll have to shop around for some smaller ones, but i've been bitten by the bug!

xx
Chewy Nero di Toscana

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2012, 07:27
by arugula
xx
Chillis skins very tough and chewy

Started by kermit on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 09:49
by arugula
xx
Soft / chewy cookie recipe

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 23:09
by Lardman

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 34 queries.