Pecking/bullying

• 2 Replies

robinson

Pecking/bullying
« on: April 13, 2010, 20:27 »
We have had 5 girls since last summer and suffered pecking from the Amber Star since the beginning.  Following advice from here we put a pecking bit on her and things settled down.  There has still always been some pecking going on but not to cause me real concern.  However in the last few weeks the smallest chicken Becca (a brown maran) has been picked on by the others and is definately the lowest hen.

I have cd's tied up, perches, a sand pit and balls, two areas to get out of the rain or sun so I dont think it is boredom that is causing the bullying.

They are on the allotment so I dont see all that goes on but spend some time with them every day.  Earlier in the week I put up a temporary enclosure with chicken wire so that when I am there I can let them out of the main run onto fresh ground that has weeds and grass for them to scrap around in.   Until today the girls have left the run and gone back in with little fuss.  Today they all went out of the run ok and 4 of the girls went back in like clock work but Becca refused to go back to the run.  She flew at the chicken wire unsuccesfully and then managed to get through my legs and was loose on the plot.  She has always been fast as I use to let them roam the entire plot whilst we were digging it through but we have now planted some of it and hence the fenced off bit for there added entertainment.  She led me and my 4 year old daughter a merry dance and I was exhausted from trying to get her back in.  IN the end I managed to throw my coat over her to catch her, it was that or leave her out.  She really was not at all keen to go back with the others and she is looking very featherless.  I have been using anti-pecking spray on her and gave her a good coating today.

I am wondering whether I should re-home her or will they just turn on the next lowest chicken?  I had been planning on getting 3 more chickens to add to the flock as I am completely hooked but feel I need to sort this out first.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Pecking/bullying
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 20:48 »
Oh the poor thing, make sure she has several places to hide and escape. Could you get some ukadex to put on her (vile smelling stuff and most hens won't touch it) or failing that fit beak clips to all the others. Another alternative is to get her a friend - let them get friendly together then hopefully as a pair they will be ok. Unfortunatly you always have one at the bottom of the pecking order but it's sad that she is so terrified of the others  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

robinson

Re: Pecking/bullying
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 20:30 »
Thanks for the reply Joyful.  I have constantly been using nasty smelling stuff but I think they have grown acustomed to it,  I have put beak bits on today and now have 3 sulking hens!  Thanks for the advice and I'll take treats with me to see if we can make friends again!

xx
pecking-bullying? advice please

Started by rags4bags on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2010, 13:55
by rags4bags
xx
feather pecking/bullying

Started by Robbo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 15:36
by hooky56
xx
Bullying

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 10:31
by Casey76
xx
Bullying

Started by hulgrin on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 14:10
by hulgrin

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 29 queries.