Hen with a bald red bottom

• 4 Replies

susa

Hen with a bald red bottom
« on: September 10, 2012, 18:44 »
We have two black rocks. One looks very tidy. But the other has a bald red bum (round her vent). She has always been a bit of a messy poo-er, but the feather loss is new. No evidence that she is getting pecked by the other one - they are pretty nice with each other. Fairly sure there's no mites in the house (I treat it regularly, and they are not reluctant to go to bed). She is laying, but not as frequently as normal (once a week rather than once every couple of days). They have both taken to sleeping in their next boxes (one each!) rather than roosting on the perch - but only on some nights. Eating well (layers pellets plus a handful of grain in the afternoon, and whatever she can get her beak on in the garden). Seems generally perky. They are due to be wormed any time now. Should I be worried, and is there anything I should do? Thank you!

splash101

Re: Hen with a bald red bottom
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 19:01 »
Do you know how old they are? I've got some black rock types a year old who are going through a partial moult around the bum area and underneath. They look oven ready around that area but no redness.

susa

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 19:09 »
They are about 18 months old, and haven't moulted before. Wondered if that's what it could be, but it seems so localised - she doesn't seem to be featherless anywhere else.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 19:16 »
yes it could be, mine are only bald in that area, its only when they bend down to eat you notice it.
Im sure a more experienced person will be able to add more info if it anything more sinister.

When mine go in at night they go straight for the nest boxes too but then go onto the perches.
 I think its because i've downsized the chicken numbers and only have 2 of them moment (makes it easier for holiday arrangements) so i think because i now only have 2 chickens and 2 nest boxes they are claiming a bit of territory (although they are both very docile). They always end up on the perches anyhow.

susa

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 19:30 »
Thanks, Splash. Yes, that all sounds familiar. The redness doesn't look too good, but does chicken flesh just do that if it's exposed to the elements?

xx
still got a bald bottom.

Started by bexy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 11:17
by andreadon
xx
bottom going bald

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 21:08
by chuckmum
xx
bald bottom

Started by corinnestaples on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 18:34
by bantam novice
xx
Bald bottom & yellow droppings

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 20:43
by Fiona55

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 29 queries.