bokashi

• 8 Replies

yewtreemob

bokashi
« on: March 14, 2006, 13:52 »
Has anybody tried bokashi yet or experimented any way with EM?  I hate spending lots of money but I constantly feel guilty when we waste cooked food and chuck it in the bin for land fill.

I've looked at websites but a) the initial cost seems quite high (unless you make your own bins) and b) digging the stuff in looks like you need to be more organised than me.

Tks

Richard

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
bokashi
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 16:03 »
Hi yewtreemob

Could you tell me what you're talking about?  bokashi? Some sort of kung fu?

Sorry, but you need to remember I be a simple son of the net :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
bokashi
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 16:11 »
I wonder too. I googled for it and all I found was Bokashi EM which was a compose activator. You don't need an activator for compost.

Learn to make less cooked food and let your vegetables start... composing in your fridge like I do  :lol:  :oops:
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

yewtreemob

bokashi
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 18:21 »
Thank you John and Heather.

Like you both I like a simple life but I am just curious about the effective micro organisms in bokashi - which simply seems to be a process of adding handfuls of EM activated bran to buckets of your food waste (cooked or uncooked) and making a "compost" that cab be buried under your beans, spuds etc after 2 weeks.

I just wondered if anybody had tried it - take out the expensive designer bins being sold it's actually not expensive to buy the EM activated bran and get started.  This is all the rage in Japan, USA etc - ith ought I might add Herefordshire to the list!

Richard

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
bokashi
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 18:43 »
I've googled bokashi as well - like most US things seems a little overhyped -LOL but the idea seems sound. Having said that we compost all vegetable wastes, used kitchen paper (unless it has meat fat on it), loo roll innards and cardboard egg boxes.

The amount of waste left that you could bokash (a new verb?) isn't much. If we had a few chooks I could reduce that further.

There was a series of articles in one of the garden mags - kitchen garden - about using micro-organisms on an allotment - seemed quite effective.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
bokashi
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 10:37 »
I don't need bokashi, I've got a dog and a stick blender!!!!

OUr lab/springer cross eats all the vegetable peelings and any leftover veg I get, she just loves vegetables, and who can resits those big brown eyes???  Any good leftovers, get blitzed into soup the follwing day for lunch!!!

Sorry compost bin!  the only compost activator I use is comfrey

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Re: bokashi
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 15:49 »
Quote from: "yewtreemob"
Has anybody tried bokashi yet or experimented any way with EM?  I hate spending lots of money but I constantly feel guilty when we waste cooked food and chuck it in the bin for land fill.

I've looked at websites but a) the initial cost seems quite high (unless you make your own bins) and b) digging the stuff in looks like you need to be more organised than me.

Tks

Richard

Hi Richard, I've got two Bokashi bins, had them for a year or more now. At the time I couldn't get down our garden in the winter coz it was like a bog, so tried this system, and only make one trip every 6 - 8 weeks or so. I haven't used the waste direct in the soil yet, but put it in the compost bin. It breaks down loads quicker than normal waste. Looks a bit like a bucket of pickles when you've filled it and left it for two weeks. There's no smell from the bins, coz it's hermetically sealed, but the juice that you can tap off and use diluted on plants smells a bit like sweet and sour.
I like the system, it suits me. It was one of those things I wanted to try but wouldn't particularly have bought if I hadn't got vouchers for my birthday, coz they are pricey. I topped up with 6 months worth of bran late last year and it has to be kept in the fridge or it smells vile and is useless, so you need to bear that in mind.

You will know all of this coz you've looked on t'intertnet, but a personal view or two always helps !

Cheers,

Kerry.  :)
Mondays are just weeds in the lawn of life !

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
Have you heard of the greencone
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 13:20 »
The greencone is another option where you need a small amount of activator to get you started, but the difference is it degrades straight into the ground.  It looks like a giant greencone, but partially burried in the soil.  As long as you position it right it does what it says on the tin.

The link will explain a bit more they normally retail at about £65.00 but my council subsidised it to encourage more green composting and I got it for £9.95.  Go onto the website and find a link to the council subsidising and then enter your postcode, it will tell you if your council take part.  Mines been good no smells and I have reduced my waste a massive amount

www.greencone.com
My Blog  www.redwelliesandco.blogspot.com

A force to be reckoned with

Trillium

bokashi
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 15:34 »
The greencone sounds very interesting, redwellies. Too bad we don't have them over here, because I'd get one for my kitchen wastes.

xx
Bokashi

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 08:31
by JaK
xx
Bokashi/Compost

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 12:16
by pigeonpie
xx
Bokashi bins

Started by ck2day on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2008, 13:54
by Kerry
xx
Bokashi composting

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 15:55
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 37 queries.