do they stop laying when broody

• 7 Replies

jackie

do they stop laying when broody
« on: May 13, 2010, 16:47 »
this is probably a stupid question to lots of people but do hens stop laying when theyre broody. mines been broody for nearly 3 weeks and i'm not sure if there her own eggs or others

Pretty Chick

Re: do they stop laying when broody
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 16:57 »
If a hen is broody, they DON'T lay eggs  :)
All lives are precious.

TeaPots

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 17:04 »
At the very beginning, they are broodyISH and continue to lay. Once they are sat tight they dont lay.....but they will steal other eggs and tuck them underneath given the opportunity  :D To the point that the best way to give broody an extra egg is to put it beside her rather than under  :lol:

It is a good idea to write on the eggs that she is sposed to be sat on, and remove the additions, as these will not be due on the same day.

jackie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 17:31 »
thanks, that answers that. i havnt got a cockerel so thats not a problem. she keeps sitting on the others eggs and i just wondered if any were hers.

TeaPots

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 17:38 »
by the way...NO QUESTION IS STUPID, if you dont know the answer, you have to ask to find out....none of us are born with all the answers, so go ahead and ask  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 19:12 »
by the way...NO QUESTION IS STUPID, if you dont know the answer, you have to ask to find out....none of us are born with all the answers, so go ahead and ask  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love that answer teapots.... there are many questions I feel I want to ask but to the experienced members must think are we even capable to keep chickens if we need to ask that  :) but I was always told that you have to ask in order to learn, so on that note..... stupid question coming up. Is it the done thing to leave food and water in the coop with them at night????   second question  stupid again!! how high must a fence be to stop a chicken flying over it??  third and final stupid qestion until I think of another one that is :nowink: what are chickens like with cats??? Thank you... feelingbroodyandverystupid :D
if wishes were changes.......

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 22:36 »
I wouldn't leave food and drink in the coop at night - it will get knocked over and just make a mess everywhere. The only ones I leave food in with is the babies.

My chickens can fly over an 8ft wall if they feel inclined (ie hungry). They will also find leaping off points to make it easier. If you don't want them to fly then clip one wing - but make sure you are definitely fox proof first.

A fully grown chicken isn't usually bothered by cats. I've seen our neighbour's cat in our paddock bit and it gave them a wide berth.

3 sensible questions if you ask me!

My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 18:41 »
Thanks guys great answers and sort of cleared it up for me  :D

xx
Did I stop her laying?

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 17:35
by compostqueen
xx
Hens stop laying

Started by Lorna on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 14:57
by JayG
xx
How long do they stop laying for?

Started by dizzylizzie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 13, 2009, 18:17
by karlooben
xx
what to do with chickens when they stop laying

Started by mumbley joe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 22:09
by New shoot

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 37 queries.