My hens have developed black combs and their faces are going black!

• 15 Replies

tycae

My4 hens seem very healthy and are laying and eating but their combs have gone black and it has spread to around their faces. Should I take them to a vet??

carolbriar

Doesn't sound great but I have no idea.  I hope someone comes along soon with some advice.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
I would say get them to the vet sharpish.

I'm certainly no expert and I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but a quick Google suggests a symptom of either heart or, more likely, liver problems.

I'm sure that someone more qualified can be more specific.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
Have they been eating anything different recently?  Would be interested to know the outcome, always worrying about what my girls are finding to eat on their travels!
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

Pretty Chick

I hope they're okay tycae. Are you able to post a couple of photos of their combs etc.?
All lives are precious.

Kelloggs

Not sure about black face but black comb is usually lack of oxygen. Are they unsteady on their feet at any time. My beautiul boy Kelloggs had this and although seemed fine to begin with he then got unsteady on his feet, then kept passing out and coming round but it got worse.
Please get them to a vet, my boy had to have injections everyday for a couple of weeks.
Hopefully I'm wrong seeing they have black faces but best to be on the safe side.

carolbriar

How are the hens tycae?  I hope you managed to get them to the vet and they were able to give some sort of diagnosis/treatment.

tycae

Great news, the hens are all fit and well! I made an appointment to take them to the vets (fearing the worst) but the evening before the appointment i was giving one of the hens it's daily cuddle and felt her comb to see if it's texture had changed. What do you know, some of the black came away in my hand! At first i thought it was skin - ugh, but then it dawned on me that it could possible be dirt. So they have all had a quick wash and lo and behold not a black comb in sight! You can imagine my embarrassment when i rang the vet to cancel the appointment. We all had a good laugh though!

Thanks for your support - I have only had hens for a few months and still have lots to learn!!

Jeanette

So pleased that it is ok. It reminds me of a time that i rushed my dog to the vets saying that she was bleeding from the mouth but i could'nt see anything it turned out that she had eaten my daughters red lipstick. I really felt a fool. the vet charged £30 for that.

scabs

:lol:

Sorry to scaremonger - glad it was just muck!

Kelloggs

Great news ;) what a relief

8doubles

I though my hens faces had gone a strange colour, sliced beetroot was the reason. :)

scabs

Sassy

I love a happy ending! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Pretty Chick

Sooooo pleased to hear there was nothing wrong with them after all  :D :D :happy: :)

xx
Black marks on combs. Help please

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 14:22
by Dawnuss
xx
Black Cotswold hens

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 11:26
by chicken soup
xx
black rock hens not laying

Started by milliemopgsd on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 21:19
by Geo
xx
Black "spots" on the hens crowns

Started by Cat on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 14:41
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 28 queries.