Am I the only one to leave sowing till at least April?

• 26 Replies

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 19:34 »
we have put some seeds in greenhouse just because we had time to spare but are fully prepared to resow if and when necessary. we just enjoy doing it regardless of results. :wink:
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 20:20 »
I haven't done a thing yet!

I only got my plot in January and it's been too cold and wet to even get the beds dug yet! My shed is still waiting to be put up and the greenhouse I am going to order may take 5-7 weeks to be delivered!

I don't want to start anything off indoors yet incase the plot isn't ready for them in time.

I was starting to panick that I was getting left behind but you have all put my mind at rest that I am not the only one in this position, phew!  :?
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

vegmandan

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 20:46 »
Wow,I wish I had your mild Devon climate up here in Yorkshire.

I've still got 2 inches of unthawed snow on my garden after the weekend,and I'ts going to rain for the next 4 days, so It's going to be April before I get going. :cry:

crowndale

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 12:15 »
i have stuff in the greenhouse and am hoping to get back to my plot this afternoon to finish off putting up a rabbit proof fence so I can get my broad beans in.  I put some seed in the ground a month ago (no sign of life there!) and have some plants that survived the snow and frosts outside in pots so thought I'd be kind and put them in the ground (one the fence is up else all they'll see is bunny rabbits!).  Spud bed isn 't yet ready so they'll have to wait another week or so yet too though both my next door lottie neighbours have their spuds in already.  alright for the retired with nothing else to do eh?!  :wink:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 13:58 »
I am still at the stage of 'thinking' it takes a lot of time this thinking and when the weather is warmer i may be ready to start and keep going, but then i might just go back to thinking.  No help whatssoever really. Just do what you want when the time is right, if its right for you then do it. we are all different no allotment is the same the climate is different over the country ar even county. Its all a learning curve just enjoy and dont worry.
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 17:43 »
Well having read these posts i think you will think im mad but ........................... i have planted hot chillies, salad peppers, 3 varieties of tomato, sprouts, radish, beetroot, onions for pickiling, leek, broccoli, spring onion, carrot, lettuce and normal onions!

I dont even have a plot yet but i will have one in the next few weeks and with my life at the moment i had to take the oportunity to do it while i could plus ..........................im very impatient  :D  :lol:  :oops:

Heres hoping my seeds sprout and flourish!

Nicky

Trillium

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 18:50 »
Although I still have snow on the ground here, our planting out time is almost the same as the UK. I've got tom, pepper and some flower seeds sprouted now and transplanted. All will stay in the house (don't have a greenhouse) until weather warms up for hardening off. Direct seeding will start early May unless late April warms up sooner than usual. I've never found it worth the bother to try to start too soon outside - if the plants and seeds don't die, they'll sulk until the temps they like come around.   8)

Ann

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 22:08 »
I've planted the shallots as they were beginning to go a bit soft and have some herb seedlings and peas sprouting in a tray.  Everything else I am leaving until after our weeks holiday in April.  Last year was my first for growing veg and I found I sowed seeds far too early.

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 13:09 »
The only things that I have on the plot are garlic, shallots and onions, autumn planted.  Chard overwintered, as did a few remaining brassicas!

This year have been very spoilt with a lean-to g/h at home so have been able to experiment with two troughs in there one for salad leaves the other for small carrots and spring onions mixed!  Both have germinated this week ... most excitiing!  :tongue2:

Apart from that my fish tank in the kitchen is doing sterling service germinating seeds that go into the g/h once big enough ... no heating or windowcill space!

... now running out of space big time!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:  :lol:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

tallulah

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 13:10 »
Whew!  My mind is now at rest!  I was down the plot today, showing my sister round, and the shed had blown over, but the bed of daffodils I'd planted had all come up - beautiful patch of sunshine under the grey sky and persistent drizzle.  Its still far too wet and cold for anything to go in just now, and also too sodden to dig.  You just can't hurry the seasons!

Dominic

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 16:11 »
Well, I had some onions and Garlic out, but I'm giving them up for dead now, not a peep from any of them, and the few i pulled out to look at havent changed a bit since planting.
I'm writing those off as goners.

My soft fruit bush's were all starting to leaf, then it snowed, I'm hoping they will survive.

I've got parsnips, spring onions, raddishes and tomotoes in propagators in the window, not sure why, I was bored and fancied giving it  a go.
I've also got some herb thingies in peat pots in another window, chives, coriander and something else.
All been out the packet for two weeks, no life signs yet.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Stripey_cat

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 20:56 »
I've got overwintering onions and garlic doing nicely, but I got impatient and sowed radishes and the wind took them last week!  I've started some things under cover: all my slow-growing tender stuff is cluttering up the bathroom, and I'll start the tomatoes and cucurbits over the next few weeks; outside (under cover) I've got spinach, rocket, broad beans and peas that I'm trying to force for early crops, and spring-sown brassicas to keep potting on (and lots of sweet peas too, of course).  I also have potatoes chitting in the side passage.  Nothing will absolutely need to go out until the end of the month, and I can keep the tender stuff under cover until the summer if need-be.  I'm hoping that we'll have a few dry days when I can hit the new allotment - it's a blooming mess at the moment, and I don't want to walk on the soil because it's definitely at the heavy end of loam.

xx
april

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 07, 2018, 19:50
by al78
xx
april progress

Started by R66VEY on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 09:29
by jimroden
xx
Summer fun on the plot - in April!

Started by Lottie Mary on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 18:32
by arugula
xx
Leeks for April and May (next year)

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 09:23
by Snoop

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 31 queries.